Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on changing my broadband provider..

Options
  • 27-05-2009 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Been with Vodafone for 9 months of a 12 month contract now and I have to say I really regret signing up for it, bills of up to €80 a month have been arriving (Vodafone USB Modem 5GB download limit a month).

Anyway, I'll be cancelling the contract at the end of the 12 months and moving onto one of the cheaper providers such as Perlico or Eircom.

I download quite a lot of music and would be looking to use Xbox live, some of my mates claim they only pay about €50 a month and often download films and play online gaming on the PS3 for hours on end.

The problem for me is, I have no landline and getting one put in, I understand, is very expensive.

So I seek your advice, which provider would be cheapest to set up a landline, give me a decent charge on the actual phone bill and a very generous download limit to play Xbox live and download lots of music etc...

Thanks in advance lads, desperatley needing your help,

therokeroar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 railto

depending on where you live, NTL might be the best option for you, other than that there are only 2 ways to get a line activated, eircom or BT, eircom charge 193 for the pleasure of activating a line whilst BT charge 123 (personal exxperience from today)

[edit] Has there ever been a phone line in your property, if so then BT can activate for just €25, was on phone today as looked at their site again and wanted to confirm pricing, theu said as there is a line there that was used before that would only cost 25 [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's a shame you didn't ask about it a week ago. eircom were doing free line connections until may 22nd so you could have got the line put in for nowt. :(

you could try calling them and see if they'll still honor the free connection offer and do it for nothing just to make the sale, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Have you thought about Magnet?

copper deals.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Been with Vodafone for 9 months of a 12 month contract now and I have to say I really regret signing up for it, bills of up to €80 a month have been arriving (Vodafone USB Modem 5GB download limit a month).

I take it that the €80 bill is because of going over the cap?
    So I seek your advice, which provider would be cheapest to set up a landline, give me a decent charge on the actual phone bill and a very generous download limit to play Xbox live and download lots of music etc...

Only eircom install lines, and it'll cost €120. Other operators can accept the order, but they'll just get eircom to install it, and you're better off going direct. After that, Smart and Magnet give some of the best costs for DSL with no limits (or very large limits anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Free line coonection with eircom starts again on tuesday sixth of june. Both insitu and new lines

• Advertisement
Advertisement