Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Encrypted NAS Buit Ideas?

• 27-05-2009 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to build a NAS from scratch, but it needs the following:

Accessible { with full RW } from both Linux and Windows.

Encrypted. - With can be decoded by either OS

IDE Hardware RAID control able to do RAID 10

SATA Hardware RAID control able to do RAID 5 { 10 would be nice}.

Speed is not a major issue I'm mainly looking for redundancy and large storage space.
    So I've planning on using:

6x Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2 Drives {may want to add more later}

2-4x 300GB IDE Drives {will in raid but powered down for backup of some data}

4x 200GB IDE Drives { Tier 3 data, stuff I want to keep but not a major loss if lost. Stuff like Doom & DK2 saved games}

Any idea and thoughts.

/Mod's move if you think this should be in a different section but I'm trying to get highend parts not just cheap a$$ junk.

Edit:

I probably have to edit this after some sleep for it to make sense....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

I'm fine with it here. If you want it moved at any stage just let me know to where.

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

looks like you're building a bit of a beast. 16 drives in total. a build like that will cost a few grand. From what I've read 3ware are one of the best for raid controllers, they do ide and sata raid controllers with raid 10. What's your budget BOFH_139? Are you looking for a rack mount solution or free standing?

Advertisement