Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Clearing work?

• 27-05-2009 3:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

I've missed the deadline for the UCAS applications, but want to do a course in England. Can anyone explain to me what I have to do?

From what I understand, I have to wait until a certain clearing application date and then begin phoning universities to ask if they'll accept me. Before all this though I have to apply to UCAS. Do I need to fill out the entire form including references and a personal statement? Do universities offer me places, or do I have to present myself to them on the clearing date? How do I know if one offer is going to be the best one I get, or am I playing Deal or No Deal with the University I get?

Any help would be appreciated. Very confused

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I've no idea. Would you have a better chance of getting an answer on NI and GB colleges forum here on boards.ie - Edu ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Moved from LC to NI & GB Colleges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Mr.S wrote: »
    From Thursday 20 August, (new places are added every few days aswell so keep checking every day if your not happy with the courses up) all the places that uni's have left on courses, will be put up onto the www.ucas.com site. Scottish Uni's do it from Wednesday 5th August.

You make an application account through Ucas, i think it costs £10, you put in all your details, what you got in your exams etc, then you take a look at all the courses that are up, you apply to them, and the uni(s) will email you back with an offer or decline. If you accept the offer, you have a place confirmed. I'm not sure how many courses you can apply to though.

http://www.ucas.com/students/afteryouapply/clearing - UCAS Clearing

As far as i know, you can still apply through UCAS, until the end of June, its just a "late" application, and some courses may already be full, but its worth a shot. You'll need to do a Personal statment and get a reference though.

great advice mr s

Advertisement