Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living away from home allowance

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am currently living in Australia on a 457 business class visa. I have been sponsored by a recruitment agency and have been working as a contractor for the past year. I have been receiving Living away from home allowance for this past year.

Can someone explain why i am eligible for LAFHA as i have heard from various people that you need to be being paying rent or a mortgage for another home abroad to receive this which i am not doing. Is this true or do i have it all wrong. I really dont understand LAFHA at all.
    Also will this effect my tax return at the end of the year?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

aidan12124 wrote: »
    I am currently living in Australia on a 457 business class visa. I have been sponsored by a recruitment agency and have been working as a contractor for the past year. I have been receiving Living away from home allowance for this past year.

Can someone explain why i am eligible for LAFHA as i have heard from various people that you need to be being paying rent or a mortgage for another home abroad to receive this which i am not doing. Is this true or do i have it all wrong. I really dont understand LAFHA at all.
    Also will this effect my tax return at the end of the year?

Thanks.

It is an employer fringe benefit, so it is up to the employer whether to give it to you.
    my company for example say they will only give it to me if I prove I am living from home, and for they define this as paying mortgage or owning property in Ireland.

But this is entirely up to the company whether you are eligible for it, if they say you are I'd be pretty happy with it

Advertisement