Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

job losses in the motor trade

• 27-05-2009 6:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

is the worst behind us with job losses in the motor trade?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Somehow I don't think so - wouldn't surprise me to see a few more fall by the wayside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my fiancé was talking to a friend about it as she knows that her dad is in the trade (he's not exactly joe duffy, but he's a decent sized dealer in dublin). she said that he told her his dealership shifted over 6000 cars by this time last year, but this year he has sold less than 150.

i don't know how true that is, it is 2 parts removed from the horses mouth, but if it is accurate i'd say we're far from over the worst of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, we had another 4 this week. There isn't a week that goes by where I don't hear of someone I know loosing their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Woodey

There is to be 80 people let go from the EP Mooney group this Friday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Im my business I see the confidence returning to the sector and from personal experience I know the banks are back lending.

It is getting there although with the deflation of the economy we must return to a level of supply for the demand.

We are currently over supplied and the suppliers, i.e dealers, will have to contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Woodey wrote: »
    There is to be 80 people let go from the EP Mooney group this Friday :(

Thats going to be a sad day for the motor trade in Dublin to be honest.Strange thing is that most of the jobs are going in aftersales with most of the parts and service departments closing and sales being left open.Yet sales staff are standing around doing nothing while aftersales are keeping places afloat at the minute.

We all lost our jobs here 2 weeks ago but were "rehired" under new management.We lost 8 staff in the changeover and honestly I cant see that being the end of it.

In my honest opinion with sales down 60% theres going to be 60% less dealers by the end of the year so Id say at least 2 a week until the end of the year countrywide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats going to be a sad day for the motor trade in Dublin to be honest.Strange thing is that most of the jobs are going in aftersales with most of the parts and service departments closing and sales being left open.Yet sales staff are standing around doing nothing while aftersales are keeping places afloat at the minute.
    That is odd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Berty wrote: »
    We are currently over supplied and the suppliers, i.e dealers, will have to contract.

I'm not in the trade but as of this morning there are 73,247 cars advertised on Carzone, to me that seems like a lot of "spare" cars in the system without the addition of new unregistered cars, cars that are not advertised, etc. That coupled with the fact that the UK import option is so common/easy now we are definitely oversupplied.
    I think it will take time for the excess to be used up unfortunately. As Berty mentioned there is also "access to credit" issues to contend with too.

If there is any chink of light in the motor industry it may be in the support services like parts, servicing, dent removal, valeting, bodywork, etc.
    As more cars on our roads age people will be more in need of these types of services.
    In particular I believe the "vanity" services like bodywork & valeting will grow as people try to keep their cars looking fresh because they cannot afford to option to get a new car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

I'm not in the trade but as of this morning there are 73,247 cars advertised on Carzone, to me that seems like a lot of "spare" cars in the system without the addition of new unregistered cars, cars that are not advertised, etc. That coupled with the fact that the UK import option is so common/easy now we are definitely oversupplied.
    I think it will take time for the excess to be used up unfortunately. As Berty mentioned there is also "access to credit" issues to contend with too.

If there is any chink of light in the motor industry it may be in the support services like parts, servicing, dent removal, valeting, bodywork, etc.
    As more cars on our roads age people will be more in need of these types of services.
    In particular I believe the "vanity" services like bodywork & valeting will grow as people try to keep their cars looking fresh because they cannot afford to option to get a new car.

if you click on used cars on carzone its around 54,000.i think at the start of the year it was about 65,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

quote]

As a salesperson who gets that attitude all the time, I can completly understand your anger but its not true to put it in such black and white terms. Even in the busy times I might have stood around doing nothing for ages but what counts is how good I am at what I do when it matters. All I need is 2 or 3 people a week and I've paid for myself with profit. 2 or 3 people a week in a workshop is bankruptcy, thats why so many aftersales staff are getting the chop.

IMO we still have a few more " Big Fish" to go under this year but it is getting very close to the bottom. Next year will be a very different animal because thoses who do survive will be much leaner and meaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There's a good few creditor meetings in motor companies this month and a few judgements gone against them. The banks are beginning to push a bit harder for their money and assets. From homes to Quarries to Dealerships, no one is being let go. Businesses can survive on credit for a while so it may appear like some are doing okay in this recession but they are just waiting for this credit to dry up.

There have been so many homes repossessed so far his year.. but that's off topic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

As a salesperson who gets that attitude all the time, I can completly understand your anger but its not true to put it in such black and white terms. Even in the busy times I might have stood around doing nothing for ages but what counts is how good I am at what I do when it matters. All I need is 2 or 3 people a week and I've paid for myself with profit. 2 or 3 people a week in a workshop is bankruptcy, thats why so many aftersales staff are getting the chop.
    No offence meant to salesmen Ed.I was just pointing out that at the minute aftersales is keeping a lot of places open.And its a bit odd for a main dealer to close its aftersales business.

I personally wouldnt buy a car in any dealer that didnt have an aftersales department especially for warranty work etc.So maybe Mooneys are shooting themselves in the foot by closing them down.For example I know that one of Mooneys dealers in Finglas is closing its aftersales but expecting customers from the area or further afield to travel to the Naas road for warranty work and servicing.A lot of people wouldnt be into that sort of travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

There's a good few creditor meetings in motor companies this month and a few judgements gone against them. The banks are beginning to push a bit harder for their money and assets. From homes to Quarries to Dealerships, no one is being let go. Businesses can survive on credit for a while so it may appear like some are doing okay in this recession but they are just waiting for this credit to dry up.

There have been so many homes repossessed so far his year.. but that's off topic.

I think this is the thing - there's loads of dealers living on credit or their reserves. Later in the year when the cashflow dries up, the pressure on them will triple!

No offence meant to salesmen Ed.I was just pointing out that at the minute aftersales is keeping a lot of places open.And its a bit odd for a main dealer to close its aftersales business.

I personally wouldnt buy a car in any dealer that didnt have an aftersales department especially for warranty work etc.So maybe Mooneys are shooting themselves in the foot by closing them down.For example I know that one of Mooneys dealers in Finglas is closing its aftersales but expecting customers from the area or further afield to travel to the Naas road for warranty work and servicing.A lot of people wouldnt be into that sort of travelling.

No dont worry , no offence was taken and I completly understand your opinion and where you're coming from. Salesmen always look like they're doing nothing :D. I'd have to agree ,its a hard pill to swallow asking people to treck across town just to get a car serviced even though they old them the car. Truth is people wont do it and they'll just go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newbe79

Hi Guys just been reading some of the threads and have to give my 2 cents, i 100% agree with not buying of a garage with no back up or after sales service, but mooney's do have naas road and LMR to work from, its not as if there leavin u to hang out to dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Stuffs moving all right. But cheap stuff, sub 7k or 6 k imh experience.
    More losses are inevitable in the larger glass fronted brand mekka's built in the boom.

I just had my first cancelled order because the customer was worried we wouldn't be around next year to give aftersales support...

Very frustrating/depressing.

newbe79 wrote: »
    Hi Guys just been reading some of the threads and have to give my 2 cents, i 100% agree with not buying of a garage with no back up or after sales service, but mooney's do have naas road and LMR to work from, its not as if there leavin u to hang out to dry.

Well in my opinion they are if you live in the likes of Ashbourne/Swords or even further afield and are expected to travel to the Naas road/Lmr for warranty work.

A lot of people I know buy on the basis that the dealer is in their area and they can return to them without too much disruption for any work that needs to be carried out.

-Chris- wrote: »
    I just had my first cancelled order because the customer was worried we wouldn't be around next year to give aftersales support...

welcome to my world :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That fairly blows. There is talk in Cork of Blackwater Motors taking up the old Quinlans/J&P Honda place in Victoria Cross, presumably for the VW biz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Just got a letter in the post this moring to sy that a Lexus dealer in the South East has closed its doors.

from speaking to other guys in the trade, things seem to have picked up slightly, but only for used, cheap cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

On a slightly more upbeat note I believe Donohoes in Enniscorthy have secured the mercedes dealership in the Wexford area so they obviously think there is a market for them.

Just got a letter in the post this moring to sy that a Lexus dealer in the South East has closed its doors.

from speaking to other guys in the trade, things seem to have picked up slightly, but only for used, cheap cars.

He has closed the lexus showroom but moved it to his kia and subaru place in castlebridge.

foxhunter wrote: »
    On a slightly more upbeat note I believe Donohoes in Enniscorthy have secured the mercedes dealership in the Wexford area so they obviously think there is a market for them.

Really? Gone from letting staff go, to taking on a new luxury franchise in 6 months. Thats quite a turnaround.

Can I just issue a friendly reminder to everyone that the rule is: Only discuss closures/changes if you're absolutely sure that it's true.

foxhunter wrote: »
    He has closed the lexus showroom but moved it to his kia and subaru place in castlebridge.

They wont be selling Lexus anymore though. They'll still be an authorised repair centre for Lexus AFAIK, but we cant buy anymore off them.

Can I just issue a friendly reminder to everyone that the rule is: Only discuss closures/changes if you're absolutely sure that it's true.

A letter from Lexus Ireland gives me 100% confidence that they are gone. Can email you a copy if you want chris, just to prove it.

Really? Gone from letting staff go, to taking on a new luxury franchise in 6 months. Thats quite a turnaround.

There was a mechanic from Donohoes at the last technical training with mercedes so there must be truth in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 newbe79

Well in my opinion they are if you live in the likes of Ashbourne/Swords or even further afield and are expected to travel to the Naas road/Lmr for warranty work.

A lot of people I know buy on the basis that the dealer is in their area and they can return to them without too much disruption for any work that needs to be carried out.

wat about anyone who buys a used car in say Belfast, and Lives in Dublin and needs some used car warranty work done? that seems like more of an inconvience to me!

Finglas is only 20/25 mins down the m50 to Naas road, if i could drop my car in Finglas and they would lend me a car and collect the next day i would have no problem with that!

• Advertisement

A letter from Lexus Ireland gives me 100% confidence that they are gone. Can email you a copy if you want chris, just to prove it.

That wasn't aimed specifically at you DB, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

whiterebel wrote: »
    That fairly blows. There is talk in Cork of Blackwater Motors taking up the old Quinlans/J&P Honda place in Victoria Cross, presumably for the VW biz.

Already there, but in the old Top Car spot. Was looking at a car out there last weekend...and boy was it quiet out there. Prices are very high there too compared to others around...

Advertisement