Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Issue - Sanity Check

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

As of yesterday lunchtime, my broadband connection went down.

We rang our provider BT to see if there was an issue with the line, according to them the line is absolutely fine as far as our apartment.

So they suggested I upgrade the firmware on the modem. So I trecked off with my laptop, found some wifi, downloaded the software and then came home and upgraded the firmware. Still nothing happen (re-booted everything etc)

Rang back, and was asked could I borrow another modem and test to see if it is the modem. So asked a friend to call round with his, tested that, no change.

We then tried a different telephone cable (from the main phone socket into the modem) again, no change.

According to BT, the only other thing it could be is the main phone point could be faulty, I'm dubious of this as our telephone is working fine. BT also told me that the telephone point is my problem and they have no engineers who can have a look at this.

So my questions are:
    1) Is there anything else I can check, test etc
    2) If I do call someone out to have a look at the phone point are there any recommendations of who I should use
    3) If I get the phone point checked and its fine, but my broadband is still not working, will I get a refund from BT and what do I do to get my broadband working?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
    Fintan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

1) Remove absolutely everything off the lines in your house and connect the router on its own without a filter to the main telephone point in the hall. I assume your getting a flashing DSL yes?

2) A telecoms engineer or even an electrician can do the job - both will check the cabling itself, it's voltages, current etc. Just mention it's a Broadband issue first if you do.

3) No, BT aren't responsible for the internal wiring of your house. Eircom have to repair the Main Telephone Point (in every house in the country) but the rest is your own problem.

Do as I suggested in 1 and then ring BT on a mobile, they can run a few tests and if needs be - log a fault to Eircom. If the telephone line is the issue (and not the exchange), Eircom should pick up on it and log that fault instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

cpu-dude wrote: »
    1) Remove absolutely everything off the lines in your house and connect the router on its own without a filter to the main telephone point in the hall. I assume your getting a flashing DSL yes?

Yep, I did this yesterday.
    2) A telecoms engineer or even an electrician can do the job - both will check the cabling itself, it's voltages, current etc. Just mention it's a Broadband issue first if you do.
    Have a guy coming out today
    3) No, BT aren't responsible for the internal wiring of your house. Eircom have to repair the Main Telephone Point (in every house in the country) but the rest is your own problem.
    Umm, makes me wonder why I pay line rental :)

Thanks for your help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

fintan wrote: »
    Umm, makes me wonder why I pay line rental :)
    Unfortunately, like all other DSL providers, they are at the mercy of Eircom and the line rental is for the line from the exchange all the way up to your house. As long as the main point is working and setup by Eircom, the rest is your job to get fixed. Good thing they do at least one NTU.

See what the chap says about your line first, if it's no better - then ring BT and get a Broadband Fault logged and that you've tested everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Unfortunately, like all other DSL providers, they are at the mercy of Eircom and the line rental is for the line from the exchange all the way up to your house. As long as the main point is working and setup by Eircom, the rest is your job to get fixed. Good thing they do at least one NTU.

See what the chap says about your line first, if it's no better - then ring BT and get a Broadband Fault logged and that you've tested everything.

But that's only for the phone, bb is only covered up until the exchange, if something goes wrong in between the exchange and your phone socket, they dont have to fix it, is up to them.

The reason why you pay line rental is because of the phone. Pretty bad service but is all they are willing to offer on their SLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Well got everything sorted in the end.

Hired an engineer to come out and have a look at our main phone point, he fitted a new one and broadband still wasnt working.

We got him to talk to BT and they then doscvered that the issue was at the exchange.

pretty pissed off with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Having same issues here with BT in kildare area.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fintan wrote: »
    Well got everything sorted in the end.

Hired an engineer to come out and have a look at our main phone point, he fitted a new one and broadband still wasnt working.

We got him to talk to BT and they then doscvered that the issue was at the exchange.

pretty pissed off with them

So they assure you it's not the exchange. You hire an engineer yourself....out of pocket.....and then discover it was the exchange.

Pissed off? I'd be hopping mad at them. I assume you are looking for them to pay for the engi?

Advertisement