Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux+\ MCITP: Enterprise, Server Administrator Length of time?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Just wondering has anyone sat any of these exams and if so what were there thoughts on the individual exams. Im MCSE in W2K however that expired way way back so with the current climate I thought I should probably update the auld skill set just in case the worst happens. I was thinking about redoing or upgrading to MCSE in W2k3 but I think ill do MCITP as it will future proof me. Im not sure whether I should go with Enterprise or Administrator, Am I right in presuming that the knowledge difference would be similar to the old MCSE or MCSA achitect? If so I reckon ill do Enterprise.

In regards to the Linux+ ive never sat any Linux\unix exams and dont have all that much linux exposure although I have installed ubuntu on a VM machine and played around with it for abit. The Linux+ has a beta exam which is only 78euro so I think id be mad not to sit it. Anyone any feedback on this particular exam(I think the code is XK0-003)? Any thoughts on difficulty rating or what materials to study etc would be most appreciated.

As for the MCITP the company are paying for these but cant give me any study leave so I plan on doing 1-2 hours x3times a week. Any thoughts on how long it will take me per exam and which ones I should pay particular attention to? Ive been using Vista and W2K8 since beta stages so im extremely familiar with them so hopefully 620 and 640 shouldnt be too taxing. After that im not sure as havent even looked at the core objectives of the rest of the exams. Ive got the CBT Nuggets for both exams and also the examcram manuals. I could probably get my hands on the M$ press exam books aswell but found them to be poor in the past. Anyone reccomend any other sources?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 r3dh34d

allybhoy wrote: »
    In regards to the Linux+ ive never sat any Linux\unix exams and dont have all that much linux exposure although I have installed ubuntu on a VM machine and played around with it for abit. The Linux+ has a beta exam which is only 78euro so I think id be mad not to sit it. Anyone any feedback on this particular exam(I think the code is XK0-003)? Any thoughts on difficulty rating or what materials to study etc would be most appreciated.
    Linux+ is very simple exam for those who r using linux everyday. It's like Microsoft, just theory. I passed it without problems.
    New upgraded version XK1-003 (that's the code) is almost the same, but they added more stuff. Little bit harder to pass, more specific questions (You have like selinux, dns, something about configuration squid, apache etc).
    And then you have to wait till September for results.
    If you new in linux, for the old exam you need only any documentation from the linux distrubution, like gentoo docs or debian references. For the new one you need something more.
    http://certification.comptia.org/linux/betainfo.aspx

Anyway, linux+ is waste of money for advanced ppl. RHCE is a lot better, but it's also a lot harder to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

r3dh34d wrote: »
    Linux+ is very simple exam for those who r using linux everyday. It's like Microsoft, just theory. I passed it without problems.
    New upgraded version XK1-003 (that's the code) is almost the same, but they added more stuff. Little bit harder to pass, more specific questions (You have like selinux, dns, something about configuration squid, apache etc).
    And then you have to wait till September for results.
    If you new in linux, for the old exam you need only any documentation from the linux distrubution, like gentoo docs or debian references. For the new one you need something more.
    http://certification.comptia.org/linux/betainfo.aspx

Anyway, linux+ is waste of money for advanced ppl. RHCE is a lot better, but it's also a lot harder to pass.

Cheers for that.
    Well I know feck all tbh about linux and thought this would be a decent starter for ten, especially at the price of 78euro!

Advertisement