Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDLP MLA threatened by masked gunman

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

It's the oldest trick in the book. Avoid the issue at hand by focussing on some side issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So what is the main issue? I can't see the wood for the trees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Souljacker wrote: »
    Nodin you forgot three very important words here ‘in your opinion’

An opinion which is wrong. How do we know this? You’ve been told twice by the OP that this is not the argument.

And now your telling Terrontress what they meant?? A little arrogant no..

I wouldn't say so. It just strikes me as a rather strange use of words. It also seemed to 'not be electoral fraud' when I was asking why no charges had been made re that allegation. It suddenly became something that would be 'hard to prove'.
    Let me read you out the first paragraph of the article your referring to:

SINN FEIN, the IRA's political wing, is engaged in electoral fraud "on a massive scale" and intimidation of voters during canvassing, the Ulster Unionists and the SDLP claimed yesterday.

Yes, the first thing referred to is "electoral fraud" on "a massive scale"....

And again, its odd that, discussing an attack on a woman attacked previously by dissidents, in an area known for dissident violence, who is on a board whose members are singled out by dissidents, we're referring to unproven allegations from 8 years ago against PSF.....

SDLP canvasser previously attacked by dissidents was threatened in area known for dissidents. 'Satanic Hand' of PSF implied to be behind it by OP. I say 'Nope'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

Nodin wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. It just strikes me as a rather strange use of words. It also seemed to 'not be electoral fraud' when I was asking why no charges had been made re that allegation. It suddenly became something that would be 'hard to prove'.

Yes, the first thing referred to is "electoral fraud" on "a massive scale"....

And again, its odd that, discussing an attack on a woman attacked previously by dissidents, in an area known for dissident violence, who is on a board whose members are singled out by dissidents, we're referring to unproven allegations from 8 years ago against PSF.....

Nodin I'm at a complete loss to understand your confusion. This thread was started to discuss intimidation, in the post you are referring to the OP has said categorically it's about intimidation (and told you directly twice it's about intimidation) it never 'suddenly changed.' Yet you seem to be determined to be confused I really hope that works out for you.

Dub in Glasgow. I'd expect nothing less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nothing less than what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I thought perhaps that those who have frustrated the democratic process with their intimidation of elected SDLP representatives in the past might be up to their old tricks again.

http://archives.tcm.ie/breakingnews/2001/06/05/story14707.asp

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1311580/Sinn-Fein-is-accused-of-massive-vote-fraud.html

I've heard it all now.

I think you forgot to attach the article where SF members are lizard people involved in a global conspiracy to elimate mankind from earth. I'm sure the torygraph has covered that story at some stage if you dig deep enough.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't get personal.
    I've heard it all now.

I think you forgot to attach the article where SF members are lizard people involved in a global conspiracy to elimate mankind from earth. I'm sure the torygraph has covered that story at some stage if you dig deep enough.
    I think you forgot to read over your post and ask yourself whether it contributed anything of value to the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Souljacker

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Don't get personal.

Apologies

Nodin I'm at a complete loss to understand your confusion. This thread was started to discuss intimidation,.

....Well yes and no. The thread was started to get a dig in at the 'Provos' using the intimidation of an SDLP candidate by dissidents as a springboard. Had it been about the SDLP being intimidated by dissidents I might have said something about 'disgrace to Republicanism' 'not in the interests of the community' or some such and left it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The whole arguement has lost the ability to be proven from the start. all the op has done is draw attention to ms o kelly who is on the policing board and as such would be a target of dissidents on both sides of the community. Any quotes that have been given by David Trimble had been speculation ant proven so at the time. Any sub quotes by the mail were the speculative quotes orig issued by David Trimble!

Its clear the OP has no interest in politics as there was 101 ways to present this to generate a positive discussion but its easier to create a scandle and as I said before boards is generally not representive of the voting majority which do go to mass are not in favor or legalising cannibas dont support prostitution and will think that Dolerous kelly was a member of the cranberies

See speculation gets boreing and impossible to defend to people who believe it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I think you forgot to read over your post and ask yourself whether it contributed anything of value to the discussion.
    I condemn any attack or any threat of attack on elected officials and people putting themselves before the electorate. It is unacceptable and it needs to be stamped out and the culprits dealt with.

As to this discussion it started out ok and its a topic worthy of discussion for sure. The original op then goes to try and link SF with the 'so called dissidents' in an attempt to discredit SF, quoting notoriously anti-republican rags such as The Telegraph to back his point up. From there onwards SF leaning republicans get defensive because of this slur and SF haters jump on this and we continue this merry dance for the umpteenth time on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Those pesky "dissidents". I bet they must have been behind the vandalizing of Mrs. Uzell's car here in Dublin too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moderation Note:

There will be a zero tolerance approach by me to Northern Ireland threads in future.

Any hint of baiting, flaming, abuse, fog of war or derailing will lead to an immediate sanction and set you up for an auto 1 month ban for subsequent breaches in NI threads.

I'm putting out this fire and I don't mind how many I take out while doing it

Any feedback or response to this does not belong in this thread.

Advertisement