Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Azure Developer?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We might be looking for a contract .Net Developer for a new project hosted on Windows Azure.

From a developers point of view is there a steep learning curve with developing for Windows Azure?
    From what I understand the database is not relational and there is no SQL query language which sounds like a fairly significant change in itself.

Do you think any competent .Net developer will be able to develop for Windows Azure or should we be looking for a different beast altogether?

Thanks for your comments.

Philbert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

From what I've read so far I'd say somebody working at the senior dev level should be able to move to Azure with minimum fuss, however if I was hiring I'd give preference to somebody who's already got some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

The main issue for most devs is that the Azure SDK/plugins only run on Vista/2008+ so for those devs it meant getting setup again.

Having played with it, its not really that different, just the usual auth token and up you go. For a while it was a pain to get access to Azure services due to the demand but they seem to have caught up so its not that bad.

SQL Services still have a way to go but they are relational (http://www.microsoft.com/azure/data.mspx), and I dont think there is any Azure pricing plans yet so it might be a bit early. Early adopters and all that :)

As for your question, any dev with a decent bit of experience in .NET shouldnt really have that much trouble, lots of articles out there.. Main issue will be getting the CTPs and SDKs. Other than that, once you start it should be fine

Advertisement