Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Access (accdb) looking for password even though none set.

Options
  • 27-05-2009 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Wierd one, probably a database corruption but today a MS Access 2007 database that I have never set a password for ... is now asking for a password!

Tried repairing and compacting ... but wont allow without password.
    Db size has gone over 1Gb so I presume its getting corrupt but has anyone ever experiences something like this before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭AccessQuery

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Wierd one, probably a database corruption but today a MS Access 2007 database that I have never set a password for ... is now asking for a password!

Tried repairing and compacting ... but wont allow without password.
    Db size has gone over 1Gb so I presume its getting corrupt but has anyone ever experiences something like this before?

Sounds like a corruption alright. If you start a new instance of Access on your local machine and then try to open the problem DB, what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Sounds like a corruption alright. If you start a new instance of Access on your local machine and then try to open the problem DB, what happens?

Still asks for a password.

Managed to get a backup from the night before, compacted it and bobs your uncle.

Which leads me to another problem ...
    Database has several linked tables, yet my Db which only has 5 tables of its
    own, (each containing 1 record which is overwritten several times during the day) seems to be bloating fairly quickly! A compact will cort this out but is
    there any way to avoid the bloating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You could try on of those password finding applications. I use Passware Password Recovery - it has always worked for me. It can find passwords on any Excel, Word, or Access document.

As far as the bloating, I would recommend setting up a vbscript to run in your schedule tasks to compact the database nightly.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Set it to compact whenever the database closes!
    1. Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, and then click Access Options.
    2. In the Access Options dialog box, click Current Database.
    3. Under Application Options, select the Compact on Close check box.

Advertisement