Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redundancy & Annual Leave

Options
  • 27-05-2009 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

I have worked in an office since September 08. I was told near the start of May that I am being let go at work, (not sure if this is technically redundancy) and my finish date was worked out as 5th June.

Have just been told that I have to take 4 annual leave days that are owed to me between then and now, but I'd much rather just get paid for them.

Any advice? I don't want to cause any hassle as I will need a reference etc. from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

You have to be working 2 years to qualify for redundancy. Also afaik they can tell you to take the time off rather than pay at the end. Is the company closing or just laying you off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

They are just laying me off I guess. Not enough work or money to pay me. Just hate being told when to take the time off... been told its two days this week and two next week.... can't even take the four days next week after the bank holiday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

6th has really said all that needs to be noted; the company has the right to assign you your holidays through out the year but should give due notice for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Nody wrote: »
    6th has really said all that needs to be noted; the company has the right to assign you your holidays through out the year but should give due notice for it.
    They can indeed tell you when to take your holiday, but they have to give you one month notice.
    So OP, your company can't tell you today, to take 4 days off before 5 june. You have a right to get paid for these days instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Thanks for the advice. I just went with it and took the leave... my manager isn't that approachable and I will need a reference. C'est la vie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement