Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry plants

Options
  • 27-05-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi, Im going to plant 4 Strawberry plants on my allotment soon but I am worried about them spreading into other areas. If i were to make a raised bed, how big would it have to be and what group would I plant them with? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Suey,dont worry about them getting too big. If trailers come out,peg them down and you will have new plants for next year. Most people buy new plants every year anyway. If you are still worried,why dont you plant them in pots? As far as I know you can plant anything with them. Although they like airy conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

thanks Ollie. I'l risk it and plant them. how far away from each other will I plant them?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

About 8-10 inches. I put straw around mine when the flowers appear. It stops the fruit from getting muddy and keeps them away from the slugs. A bag of straw is 6euro in the pet shop and theres loads in it. Have you checked out allotments.org.? Loads of info on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

They will be fine , the new runners only come once a year when the fruit has finished . Either use them for new plants or take them off. The commercial growers replenish their plants every 3 years but you will find once you get the taste of fresh strawberries from your garden , you will want a few more the next year so the new runners will come in handy. I am never short of neighbours to take a free bowl of strawberries the day there is too many. The only last a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

About 8-10 inches. I put straw around mine when the flowers appear. It stops the fruit from getting muddy and keeps them away from the slugs. A bag of straw is 6euro in the pet shop and theres loads in it. Have you checked out allotments.org.? Loads of info on it.
    This website is for sale
    :(

All I see there at the moment is adverts for military websites.

Our strawberry plants are in large planter boxes at the moment and thriving. As has been said, if you let the runners plant then you'll get small plants that you can use next year. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement