Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

studio/portrait photography course?

• 27-05-2009 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    i generally shoot street photography but id love to start shooting studio with the use of flashes but i have never attempted it. Are there any courses worth signing up to in the dublin area? ideally i would eventually like to set up a little studio in the attic. ideally evening courses, but im off work for july and aug so during the day these months would also suit.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Probably the best way is to get into a Studio & giving it a go.

The problem is that Studio Hire can cost a lot as they are geared towards Professional use.

There is a way to access a Studio much cheaper, but with a few restrictions. At DCC we have a fully equipped studio, which is free for use by members. To qualify to use the studio you have to be a member & have completed a Studio Course (Level I) To access the Studio you will then need to book a session at a Tuesday night meeting. It helps if you have keys to the building to access at times when the club is not open. Keys can be issued after 3 months membership & application to the council. This Studio can only be used for Amateur work.

There is also a Studio Course (Level II) which I have just done. It goes a lot further into lighting techniques. I am now looking for someone to model so I can do a shoot, hopefully this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi thanks for the reply... im heading away on hooneymoon soon but id be up for jooining the tuesday after i comeback. Do you know if the studio level 1 course is running anytime in july or august? as it sounds like a good place to start?
    thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Next Studio Course (Level I) is scheduled for June 11th. There are only a few places left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

ah well, im getting hitched on the 12th and wont be back in the country untill the start of july...:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

institute of photography has courses i think, as does digital beginners. tho to be honest... tag along with someone with experience for a day and you'll learn lots, read up on techniques apres, go on a shoot, and your pretty much sorted, once you know what you NEED to do and APPLY it, it kinda defuncts a course, someone with experience can direct you in how to perfect it.

my two cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Sorry to hijack your thread, but do you have any more info on this CabanSail?
    Membership fees, Studio Course Level 1 fee, and what time/duration on June 11th?

TIA

Membership is €90 per year + €5 Joining fee.

Studio Courses - €15 ea (1 Night)

Keys (after approval) €25 (I think)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

CabanSail wrote: »
    Membership is €90 per year + €5 Joining fee.

Studio Courses - €15 ea (1 Night)

Keys (after approval) €25 (I think)

Thanks for that. Had a look at their web-site and see that all the meeting are on Tuesdays? Is that right, as I'm only going to be about Wed. - Fri.?

Plus, I've got to bring my wee girl to the dentist on the 11th, no way I'm going to be back in Dublin until very late :(

Looks like a decent club though, wouldn't mind finding out some more about it. Are you a member, do they have a discussion group?

I am currently the Vice President of DCC.

We meet on Tuesday nights.

It is an active club & we have quite a few members who are on this forum as well.

There will be more Studio I courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Having recently done the Level 2 course in DCC, I have to say the guy who runs the course has put a mountain of work into it. He goes through a plethora of lighting layouts and scenarios. His studio photography work is to an amazing standard with wonderful fresh ideas.

The studio is also a wonderful facility to have, to try out your ideas and to put into practice what you have learned from the studio courses. It's also great space to share with others while having fun with your hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Both courses are very good. I was quite happy to pay for both, because I have learned even more. Next step is to get into the studio and to start working. I hope to get the key soon.
    And, by the way, if anybody wants to cooperate with me on printout for Level 1 course, let me know. I will need at least typography and spelling help/advise.

Having recently done the Level 2 course in DCC, I have to say the guy who runs the course has put a mountain of work into it. He goes through a plethora of lighting layouts and scenarios. His studio photography work is to an amazing standard with wonderful fresh ideas

Paul Timon really does some amazing work in the Studio. I am sure he would not mind me Linking some of his images here from his Gallery on the DCC Website

AFAIK all these images were taken in the DCC Studio. He goes through the set ups he would use to create these photos on the course.

I00002798.jpg

I00002799.jpg

I00002800.jpg

Advertisement