Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for blues music

• 27-05-2009 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi. I'm looking for advice on blues music. I listen to rock/punk and want to listen to a bit of blues but i don't know anything about it. Can someone suggest something that i might like. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters and Willie Dixon to name just a very few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Lord Vetinari

If you're into the more rock side of things then I'd suggest listening to a bit of QOTSA as a transition. Some of the stuff on Lullabies to Paralyze is very bluesy, like 'You got a killer scene there man' and 'skin on skin'. Then you can move on to more genuine blues. One of my personal favs is John Mayer Trio, I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There is a similar type of thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471531

Some of my own personal favourites would be :

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers (especially the "Beano" album featuring Eric Clapton).
    Buddy Guy
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac
    Ten Years After
    Johnny Winter
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band
    Freddy King

Do a search on You Tube and see who appeals to you the most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

Can't go wrong with Rigsby's recommendations.

Defo Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, I say.

Also if you're coming from the rock side of things,
    Irelands Jimi - Rory Gallagher. A Legend!

Picked up an album by a guy called Joe Bonamassa, best rock/blues I've heard in a while. It's the kind of blues you hear somewhere and think, why can't I find quality tunes like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

Two absolute legends that haven't been mentioned yet are John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins

Both have massive catalogues, but any "best of" compilation would be fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 randy lug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Two absolute legends that haven't been mentioned yet are John Lee Hooker and Lightnin' Hopkins
    these men are blues Gods. JLH was my introduction to the blues (I was about 14). I've never looked back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 walterbecker

Irish band Milk do a great cover of Crossroads which is a famous delta blues song written by Robert Johnson made famous by Cream
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sAu-pQ6QyI

Irish band Milk do a great cover of Crossroads which is a famous delta blues song written by Robert Johnson made famous by Cream

You are certainly "MILKing" the opportunity to promote your band ! :D

It's on three different forums. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Banned. I don't care if you're Walter Becker or Donald Fagan, don't spam the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

Albert King is unreal. Just check youtube. Dude can PLAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Robert Johnson is amazing, but very hard to get into if you've never listened to the blues before, as it's pretty sparse sonically, merely him and a guitar. A genius none the same.

B.B King, and, as someone mentioned, Rory Gallagher, are both great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Iggy Pop

david82 wrote: »
    Hi. I'm looking for advice on blues music. I listen to rock/punk
    You might want to try:
    Johnny Winter
    Dave Hole
    Walter Trout
    Kenny Wayne Shepard
    Hound Dog Taylor
    Michael Katon
    Early Fleetwood Mac
    Sonny Landreth
    All good slide blues.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 legsXI

Would agree with most of the other suggestions. As you have an interest in punk I'd suggest The Black Diamond Heavies for you as they're basically a punk-blues group and The Black Keys (aeroplane blues, stack shot billy, Goodbye Babylon). Both these bands are active at the moment which is a plus. Personally, I'd suggest...

The earlier (more raw) blues musicians-
    -Howlin' Wolf (eg. Killing Floor, Smokestack Lightning),
    -Muddy Waters (eg. Mojo Workin, Champagne and reefer, hoochie coochie man)
    -Sonny Boy Williamson II (check out 'your funeral and my trial' on youtube),

Then John Lee Hooker and BB King (look at 'The Thrill is Gone' with Gary Moore on youtube) have more of an electric sound, as do Rory Gallagher and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Then not to forget most of the early classic rock bands had huge blues influences. Like early Rolling Stones (Little Red Rooster- originally a Willie Dixon song) and the first few Zeppelin albums (Bring it on Home, The lemon Song, etc. were covers of earlier blues musicians). A lot of 60s and 70s bands were quite bluesy at times- Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac, the Yardbirds, Ten Years After etc. I think these bands are the best place to start as they'll complement your rock music interest. But to be honest the blues is best live- thats how I got interested in it- and i'm sure most fans would agree with that.

Sorry for really long post just very enthusiastic about blues music!! let me know if you want any more song suggestions :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Son House.

/edit: also this White Stripes cover of Death Letter is amazing:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭kawaii

Mississippi John Hurt, Alvin Youngblood Hart and Chris Smither are all swell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

T Bone walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

I am into that swmmooochy sound of the 30,s and I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who shares my tastes
    I have a fairly good selection of stuff
    if there is another forum for this please let me know

if there is another forum for this please let me know

http://blindman.15.forumer.com/index.php?showforum=5

• Registered Users Posts: 14 333joemc

Especially if you are coming from the Punk end of things check out the album Chulahoma by the Black Keys, its not replete with blistering guitar solos but it is a groovey grungy beast of an album. Also check out the work of Junior Kimburough its pretty much cut from the same cloth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Leadbelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭mikedone

Like to suggest a few greats who haven't gotten a mention yet
    Ma Rainey, probably the first female blues singer at least the first to record.
    Bessie Smith, known as the Empress of the Blues. Nearly 170 recordings available.
    If you want to listen to some of the best of the blues harmonica (harp) then I would suggest
    Little Walter
    Rice Miller (Sonny Boy Williamson I)
    Paul DeLay
    And finally my all time favourite blues rock outfit Canned Heat

Advertisement