Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Block wired for NTL

Options
  • 27-05-2009 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I am in an apartment block in Dundrum. It has been pre-wired by the developers for phone and broadband with NTL. This is good in that I dont have to pay line rental to Eircom.

But does this mean I am restricted to getting my broadband with NTL? Will any other service providers work on the existing system (I'm not a telecoms expert so dont know what its called even!) without having to re-wire the apartment etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I don't know how it is with NTL and your appartment, but I live in a block where there is only one provider for TV, bb and phone all with HomeVision. Cables were routed by them as well. And there is no other option for me.

Best way would to ring your management company and check with them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If it is wired exclusively by NTL/UPC, then you can only get BB from them.

However this isn't necessarily a terrible thing, as NTL offer one of the fastest and cheapest BB services in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

as has been said already, if it's UPC only in the apartment then maybe, but it depends on if you have a regular phone line coming in or not.

If you can get an eircom or BT phone line then you have plenty of broadband options, regardless of what deal UPC have with the apartment management company, they have no right to restrict free trade.

check if the apartment is wired for a regular phone line and take it from there.

if it is, give BT or eircom a call and see how much they will charge to connect the line and offer you broadband.

if you don't want to have to get a landline then it's either UPC or you can try for a fixed wireless broadband provider (digiweb or others possibly?) if they are in your area but unless you're on the top few floors you might not have any luck them either, depending on your surroundings as you'll need a relatively clear view to their tower and may need and external antenna which could also be against the terms of your rental agreement.

the other option would be o2, meteor or vodafone mobile wireless, again depending on if you can get a good signal from the apartment. only good for browsing and email though, probably not what you're looking for if you want to download stuff, in which case UPC would be a much better option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭leonardjos

That's what I thought alright. I think I'll be subscribing to NTL/UPC so. Thanks :)

Advertisement