Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sumone put a match to my celica plz!

• 27-05-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

i hate the piece of crap, it failed the nct, had the lamda replaced
    (2 times) put dipotane into it, had my mechanic check the emmisions but now it seems its still idling high and the emmisions are still off, they said its idling rough and seems to misfire a bit, anyone know what it might be or what might need to be done to it?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think you've got your solution already :)

have you done things like check condition of plugs, plug leads, air flow sensor, or stepper motor? What way is the catalytic convertor?

have you done a diagnostic?

how competent is your mechanic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Id take it to a proper mechanic before resorting to arson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I thought someone had set it alight. As said above take it a proper/another mechanic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

bring it to the Toyota garage or replace it. it is over 10 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭twincamman

SOUNDS LIKE AIRFLOW METER IS THE PROBLEM.IT WENT ON MINE ,I HAD A 93 CELICA GT4 POP UP LIGHTS MODEL,FANTASTIC CAR,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Sounds like you need a new mechanic, not a new car...

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭celica1994

the mechanic is pretty good, he used a diagnostic machine, checked the car over and checked the emmisions for nothing, only thing he charged me for was a sensor and fitted it for me fairly cheap, he thinks it might be a map sensor problem, i dont know a thing about map sensors, but i gotta leave the car back in with him durning the week to see what he can do, i really just want rid of the car, its given me so much hastle, new suspension, trackends, burns oil, i really wouldnt touch another celica!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

An import by any chance?

MAF (MASS AIRFLOW) sensor, as opposed to MAP sensor.

as previously suggested by both myself and twincamman....

yea the god awful thing is a jap import, its sounding like a map sensor alright, are they expenive to relace?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Its only God Awful because you haven't got yourself a mechanic that's up to the task.

MAF sensor might just need cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Fishtits wrote: »
    An import by any chance?

What difference would that make? I bet you are far more likely to find a running '94 import than an Irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

You have a lovley car, don't burn it do some research and fix it. Maf in my mind too. google google buy a few cheap tools and fix this lovley car. I don't think there is anything seriously wrong with it. These diagnostics are very over rated and good old mechanicing (is that a word ) will solve most problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

If you want i'll take it off your hands, free of charge.

ha if i didnt need the money for a new car i so would, i got a nice merc e240 i gotta sell too, tax was too high so i bought the celica, its seriously just one problem after another with the thing, im hoping it can be fixed without costing the earth. ive had 10 cars even including an afla romeo gtv lol and its caused me the most ammount of hastle of any car ive owned, incidently the best car i ever owned was a 2000 peugeot 406 and i have to say the car was bullet proof even after 185k, after driving it a year the only thing that went was an intercooler pipe and that was easily replaceable. i have the celica 6 months and in that space of time ive had rear suspension gone, trackends, o2 sensors gone, burning oil really bad on long runs, rough idling, head light bulbs replaced, emmisions problems, high idling problems.... and i thought toyota was a relyable make of car, i know things go on fair wear and tear but i think at this stage its just getting ridiculous lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well tbh, you'd nearly be easier handing the thing to someone else if you were getting rid of it. over 10 years old with a line of problems.... You'd be hard stretched to sell it!

well i think id rather sort the problems and sell it, there wont be anything wrong with the car after i fix it up but i cant reallly handle the unreliability of the car anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 24 colly_eire

matches are dangerous but it sounds like the best option sorry to say it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

celica1994 wrote: »
    ha if i didnt need the money for a new car i so would, i got a nice merc e240 i gotta sell too, tax was too high so i bought the celica, its seriously just one problem after another with the thing, im hoping it can be fixed without costing the earth. ive had 10 cars even including an afla romeo gtv lol and its caused me the most ammount of hastle of any car ive owned, incidently the best car i ever owned was a 2000 peugeot 406 and i have to say the car was bullet proof even after 185k, after driving it a year the only thing that went was an intercooler pipe and that was easily replaceable. i have the celica 6 months and in that space of time ive had rear suspension gone, trackends, o2 sensors gone, burning oil really bad on long runs, rough idling, head light bulbs replaced, emmisions problems, high idling problems.... and i thought toyota was a relyable make of car, i know things go on fair wear and tear but i think at this stage its just getting ridiculous lol
    To be fair, you bought it like that. It was a dog to begin with.

• Advertisement

honestly there wasnt a problem with it when i bought it, it was in such good nick, then the idling problem happened, then my mechanic noticed a few more problems when it went up on the ramp. i dont really drive the car hard so i dunno why it all happened at once, well i suppose the car is like 15 years old lol, i just want to get it fixed and sell it on, it will be running perfect when i do cause i wouldnt want to sell sumone a car with a heap of problems cause i know the feeling lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

celica1994 wrote: »
    the mechanic is pretty good, he used a diagnostic machine

I've a later 1996 jap import Celica and it doesn't have a standard OBD (on-board diagnostic port which all modern car diagnostic computers read from).
    So unless your mechanic had an old Toyota specific diagnostic machine he may have been telling you fibs and just taken a stab in the dark at the issues.

I've a Haynes manual for the Celica and there's ways of connecting jumper wires across the toyota specific diagnostics box to get fault codes flashing on your dashboard lights. Eg. 1 flash, pause, then 4 flashes for an airbag warning.

Even if you've a US Celica, it was only mandatory for manufacturers in the US to install OBD ports from 1996 onwards.

So I wouldn't necessarily trust that your mechanic had a proper Toyota diagnostic machine. I rang around 3 Toyota dealers in my area and none had the diagnostic kit needed and didn't know anyone who would.

he had a diagnostic tool that fitted it alright, i seen him use the machine and everything, it originally came up o2 sensor. theres a theory friend came up with while looking at the car, perhaps the automatic choke is stuck closed, the airbox does seem to make a sucking noise every few seconds, and the problem only occurs when the car is fully heated up

well i aint bothered using the car anymore, its parked up in the driveway, gonna sell it cheap, gone back to my merc e240, its expensive to run but problem firee ^^

Advertisement