Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left Club - what to do with my gun?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I am no longer a member of a gun club due to my weekends being taken over by my kids and not having the time. I have a licensed rifle that will obvioulsy need relicensing soon. What are my options? I would love to hang onto the rifle as I may rejoin way into the future but I know legally I cant do this. If I cant sell the gun in time do I hand it into the Garda station? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Just get written permission from a cuple of farmers to shoot on their land. I presume its small bore rifle.

The one thing I have learned is never surrender a license unless you absolutely have to - Its an awful lot of effort to get it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Jonty wrote: »
    Just get written permission from a cuple of farmers to shoot on their land. I presume its small bore rifle.
    Plus one on that!

The one thing I have learned is never surrender a license unless you absolutely have to - Its an awful lot of effort to get it back.

Learned that lesson a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

Jonty wrote: »

Its a .22 mag but I dont know any farmers at all, I do live in Tallaght close to the Dublin mountains but have no contact at all for the farmers up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I dont know what the fees are but I would keep it up, getting membership of a gun club is difficult enough. Even getting out the odd time is worth it remember the kids get a bit older and you may get more time with them.

My lads will go with me now (and fight to see who comes) when I go for a ramble with the Dog. The eldest lad comes shooting with me and I have him insured with the NARGC because he comes with me.

You could put the gun into storage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

You can hand it into a dealer and he will store it for you clarks in navan do it afaik.. Ring them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cruachan7

Thanks for the advice, I'll have to have a think about things I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

hi mate
    you are the holder of a rifle license for 22mag
    regardless of what you do they will send out a renewal notice to you on 31 july so till then dont worry

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

syconerd wrote: »
    hi mate
    you are the holder of a rifle license for 22mag
    regardless of what you do they will send out a renewal notice to you on 31 july so till then dont worry

you could give it to a member of your club to mind but get it registered in his/her name that way you will have it looked after and can reapply whenever.
    better still take the advice given earlier and just store it with a dealer.
    you should be able to renew the licence once you give written proof that the gun is not in your possession.
    i had to do that a few years back when my shoot was sold by the farmer for development and i had nowhere to shoot.
    it might save you the hassle of selling it and then going through the application again,,and with the new bill possibly being brought in the new conditions will be stricter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When i first got my .22lr 15 years ago i got the written permission of 2 land owners. I was never asked for annual re-siging or even checked up on to see if i still had permission or was shooting the land. All this while not a member of a gun club. The gun was not taken from me nor was i asked to validate my reason for having it.

I know you (cruachan7) don't have land to shoot on but as far as i know unless you are acting in a dangerous or threatening manner in a public place or have recent documented mental issues they cannot take your firearm from you. (I'm open to contradiction on that. Not a legal eagle)

My point is why consider surrendering or selling it if you don't want to. Unless a Garda arrives on your doorstep demanding your gun with a court order for any of the above issues hold onto it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

+1 as above
    but mine is a shot gun...just started shooting again and loving it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

cruachan7 wrote: »
    but I know legally I cant do this. :confused:

Why not ??

Advertisement