Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller "sponsorship" in Kilbarrack/Donaghmede

Options
  • 27-05-2009 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

There's a huge gang of traveller kids being shepherded around this area recently collecting "sponsorship" for a "charity walk". With a smaller number of adults monitering from a distance and pointing them towards different streets.

Its common enough for kids in the area to collect sponsorship, and i'd often give them a few quid. This looked suspicious to me at first, didn't recognise the kid. The loud bang on the door and shouty voice seemed a tad rude for an 8 year old. There was only one sponsor name on the form and supposedly they had given €10. When asked where the kid went to school she replied and pointed, "the one over there" - but didn't know the name of it. When asked her name she said "the one it says on the form". At this stage she got a bit confused and gestured to a woman who was walking along the street minding her own business, looking ahead. The woman looked over and gave her a nod and the kid ran off after her.

Walking around the area later I could still see groups of kids running around with their sponsorship forms. Not good news for real charities I suppose...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

They've been around clarehall too, there was a bunch of kids pushing an aulone around in a whelchair. defo scammers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

They were around the Donneycarney area last night. Came knocking on the door about 8pm wanting sponsorship for the school.

I have alot of elderly neighbours - 3/4 of the road would be over 70 odd. One time they jammed their foot in the door of my neighbours house and one ran in to see what he could see. Luckily his son was in the house and booted them out but it shook the old guy up alot.

Slam the door in their faces is the only solution.

Weird that you should mention that but in Drumcondra in the last week I've seen 2 different groups of kids going around my estate presumably looking for sponsership. Ranged from around 10-14 I'd say. They looked pretty dirt but I figured they were just dirty from playing football or something but when a kid thinks it's ok to half knock my door down looking for sponsership, traveller or not they can **** off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Called into my house (Donaghmede) the other night.

Same thing, I asked what school was it for and just got a blank face as a reply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

They had a similar trick a while back.
    They'd call round to houses with a badly-written peice of paper purporting to be from a legitimate charity that was collecting in the area.
    They'd be looking for scrap,batteries,clothes etc and they'd dump whatever they didnt want over the nearest wall...parasites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement