Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav

• 27-05-2009 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Just after picking up a delivery job for the local "chipper", now I need a sat nav to figure out where I am going.

Anyone know of theres any half decent ones going cheap, don't want to spend too much now, just a few quid.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

how about a 2nd hand one from www.adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,937 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Garmin Nuvi 350 is good value from satnaveasy.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Cheapest Garmin I could find on a quick search, £78 inc. delivery.

I got a 250W off this crowd a few months back and had no trouble and it arrived in a couple of days, some other people on here have had problems with their customer service.

Best go for a Garmin as they have the best mapping for Ireland (Navteq)

If you need it in a real hurry check out Halfords and Currys for their current deals or you could pop out to Celbridge where MemoryC have a Garmin 200W for €125.15 & €5 delivery or no del. charge if you collect it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

adverts was the first place I looked and none of them were cheap enough for me.

Thanks "basquille" for that one, it looks good.

Anyone else with any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Basic TomTom units were €89 IIRC in Xtravision not so long ago. TomTom One Classic UK/IRL was €99 in PC World back in December.

I got a TomTom for Christmas, and comparing it to my mates Garmin I much prefer the UI on the TomTom.

Haven't compared the maps though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭biebiebie

One thing you may wish to consider is how long the battery will last for.

Not too important if you can charge in the car. However I've found that Sat Navs are very handy when visiting cities and you need a "walking map". Good for finding a hotel location, planning/saving "places to visit", and also as a "guide" when you are there ("places of interest").

A friend of mine has a TomTom and the length of the battery from full to flat is quite dreadful.

Just another aspect that is sometimes is forgotten about (like many other electronic gadgets)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

Don't know if you got sorted out with 1 yet,

we have the garmin 760 in D.I.D for 158 at moment.

not advertising, just helping you.

Just recognised the name from adverts there mcgowanor.

Must read the names before putting in a reply.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Soarer

mad dave wrote: »
    Don't know if you got sorted out with 1 yet,

we have the garmin 760 in D.I.D for 158 at moment.

not advertising, just helping you.

Do ye deliver to Cork, and for how much?

Also, it's showing up as €230 on yere website?! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

There's a Garmin on iBood today - http://www.ibood.com/ie/en

• Advertisement

Yes, it has gone back up to 249 in the shops but it is likely to come down again in the June sale which i think is starting next weekend. We can deliver to Cork for €25 and if you are interested we have shops in Kilkenny and Waterford city.
    p.s - I was off yesterday and was'nt aware of the price change.

We have 2 garmin 660's left in swords that we are selling off at €125.
    Still €250 on the sales screen. Both models are former display models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

My SatNav (Garmin) is 18 months old.
    It takes ages to pick up Sat signal.
    Could it have anything to do with old maps.

When she starts to talk she is fine, but it takes her ages to get the plot.

once you are moving in your car and it near the windscreen, it should pick up signal within about 3 minutes. it may struggle to get a signal when indoors.

I have had it outside and sometimes it takes 10 minutes to start.
    It is fine once it starts.

what make is it and how long do you have it?
    if it's a garmin or tom tom, it's taking too long and sounds like it has a fault.
    maybe you can reset back to factory settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Update the Sat Nav's software/firmware, and see if that helps.

Otherwise, try do as someone above suggested, a factory reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Best deal I found when I was buying one a last month was in Halfords - ask them for a "refurbished" garmin (which is as I understand it a new garmin - but old model - with the latest maps loaded) - I got one for under a hundred - with a travel kit thrown in - mains charger etc.

Only problem I found was I had to figure it out myself - the sales guys were only plugging the new ones (at well over a hundred).

what make is it and how long do you have it?
    if it's a garmin or tom tom, it's taking too long and sounds like it has a fault.
    maybe you can reset back to factory settings?
    Its a Garmin and I have it 18 months

if you call a crowd called jdm products - 01 2050500.
    they are based in bray and they are the main suppliers and service agents for garmin in ireland.
    other than that, they sometimes have a reset pin hole button on the back of thr unit or there should a reset option somewhere on the menu options.

one other thing, if you hold down the power while pressing on the top right and bottom left of the screen (all 3 at the same time) for about 40 seconds or so, it will allow you to re configure the screen and this might also reset the unit.

• Advertisement

if you call a crowd called jdm products - 01 2050500.
    they are based in bray and they are the main suppliers and service agents for garmin in ireland.
    other than that, they sometimes have a reset pin hole button on the back of thr unit or there should a reset option somewhere on the menu options.

one other thing, if you hold down the power while pressing on the top right and bottom left of the screen (all 3 at the same time) for about 40 seconds or so, it will allow you to re configure the screen and this might also reset the unit.
    Sounds like a good idea. I appreciate the help.

brophs wrote: »
    Update the Sat Nav's software/firmware, and see if that helps.

Otherwise, try do as someone above suggested, a factory reset.
    I reset the unit.
    Works a dreams, just like new.
    I need to update the maps. I notice I am driving down a lot of open fields lately.

you need to watch out for roaming cattle when you do that.

it can get you places faster though

-
    there is a fella on adverts offering sd cards cheap with map updates for about 70 euro. or you can buy a garmin 255 (european version) 09 maps of us in did this week for €100 . (95 if you twist the salesmans (or womans) arm). it's a alright deal as we still have the old 250 model for 150.

Advertisement