Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get free webtexts on PrePay?

• 27-05-2009 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

Heading abroad for 3 months soon so Im going to put a stall on my contract so I don't incur bills whilst away. ( wouldn't be able to use the minutes & texts on my package as Im abroad )
    Anyway plan was to set up another Sim on pre-pay and use it for webtexts from the net to keep in contact with people whilst Im away. Is this possible on prepay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Well if you are on O2 you get 250 free webtexts a month which can be used for international numbers as well. This includes prepay.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭deebee08

vodafone give 300 free webtexts per month whether you're on prepay or billpay....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

And meteor gives you 300 too. If you're only texting home it won't make a difference which provider you're with but if you need to text foreign numbers you'll need to use o2 webtexts.

You should take a look at the program in my sig that lets you send webtexts from your phone for about 2c abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Well if you are on O2 you get 250 free webtexts a month which can be used for international numbers as well. This includes prepay.

Never knew that O2 includes international texts for free on webtext, I may well port over the next time my contract is up as I have a good few mates in the UK. Thanks for the info Daryll.

Im on Meteor, spoke to them a few minutes ago. They said I can put a stall on my contract for 3 months but unfortunately they won't allow me to switch my number over to prepay while I am abroad.
    Im presuming that if I just port my number to another network's prepay then I'd be in breach of my contract?
    My only option seems to be to stall the contract and get a new sim and new number and then use that for webtexts when abroad. But does anyone know would it be possible to spread my number over 2 sims (ie one for the stalled contract and the other for using webtexts) or is this typically outside the rules?
    Its just I don't want to have to tell all friends and family 'Hey Im using this number for the next 3 months but I'll be back to the old one after that'. Makes things awkward and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    And meteor gives you 300 too. If you're only texting home it won't make a difference which provider you're with but if you need to text foreign numbers you'll need to use o2 webtexts.

You should take a look at the program in my sig that lets you send webtexts from your phone for about 2c abroad

Sam had a look at that software. I see how you mean that a text is less than 50kb so the charge using a prepay service should be 2c. But would the networks not typically charge more for data if you are roaming?

Also it could bring up the problem of always making sure the phone is on a 'partner' network or the charges could be through the roof. I'm going to Peru, Bolivia & Argentina so I must ring Meteor to find out who their partner networks are in those countries (if any).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

RATM wrote: »
    Sam had a look at that software. I see how you mean that a text is less than 50kb so the charge using a prepay service should be 2c. But would the networks not typically charge more for data if you are roaming?

Also it could bring up the problem of always making sure the phone is on a 'partner' network or the charges could be through the roof. I'm going to Peru, Bolivia & Argentina so I must ring Meteor to find out who their partner networks are in those countries (if any).

The program uses <1kb so the charge is rarely be more than 2c in any country I've been in. The only times it's slightly more are if there are network problems and it has to retry a few times. I've never seen it cost more than 4c

data doesn't get much more expensive than 2c per kb :D
    but remember the 99c per day cap doesn't apply abroad with meteor. It does with vodafone but cabbage and most java apps don't work properly through the live access point which is what the 99c per day deal applies to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

If you are going somewhere exotic it is worth checking that prepaid SIMs can receive texts there and on what networks, so that you can see the replies to texts that you send from a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

yep. been using my free texts on prepaid since '99

Advertisement