Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVENT 17/10/2009 : 24 Hour Comics Day '09

Options
  • 27-05-2009 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Yes back again but ages away still so don't panic. 24 hour comics day '09 will take place on 17th and 18th of October in the central hotel. We're expanding and taking two function rooms this year and adding a few smaller comic related events, however everything is still in early planning stages right now and I don't want to confirm anything until I know it's def 100% happening so keep an eye on the new website for updates closer to the event.

Reason I'm posting now is to let people know we're putting an anthology together as part of the event. It's a themed book and the theme is......."24".... [yes I know risking alot of Jack Bauer piss takes but I'm hoping people are a little more creative] Contributors are free to interpret this theme in whatever way they wish. Serious or lighthearted stories, slice of life or more abstract tales, superhero, alternative, manga, sunday funnies - all are welcome. As we are working with Childrens Book Ireland we are keeping the book to a PG-13 rating.

Technical Information

Pages should be either Black and White or Grayscale.

Page size: 21 cm H x 15 cm W [sorry Americans but the rest of the world is metric and the printer I'm using is Irish, roughly its 8 1/4H x 5 3/4W in inches]

Submissions should be no more than 5 pages.

Finished stories only please, no “To be Continued’s….”

Scans should be done at 300 dpi.

For final submission send high res jpg or tiff to cliodhna AT ztoical DOT com. Please mark the subject of the email as "Anthology Submission" otherwise my spam filter may eat it.

Deadline September 04th 2009

Contributors will, of course, keep all rights to their artwork and will get one contributor copy of the book. The anthology organizers will cover all the costs of printing and distributing the anthology.

Any questions or comments about the '24' anthology or 24 hour comics day please feel free to comment here, PM or email me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Hi folks,

Updates on some of the goings on for this years 24 hour comics day. Reminder first that the anthology is open for submissions, please head to the website for further information. Just to note you don't have to attend the event to submit to the anthology.

As mentioned before we are working with Children's Book Ireland this year and as such are including a number of workshops to run along side 24 hour comics day. Even though the event is part of the Children's Book Festival we hope to offer something for all age groups with these workshops. [I've put in bold our manga workshop that might be of most interest to readers of this forum]

- First up there will be a giant free for all comic jam for the younger kids. All the kids taking part will draw one big giant comic story that we'll cut up into sections so everyone can take a piece home.

- Phil Barrett will be running a mini comic workshop for 8 to 12 years olds where they will make their own 7 page mini comic.

- Very excited to announce that the international Manga Museum in Kyoto are sending one of their Artists, Tsuyoshi Ogawa, to run a manga assistant drawing workshop. This workshop hopes to give those taking part an understanding of how comics are produced in Japan and what it is like to work as a manga assistant. Participants will get to try their hand at inking with both nib and brush. We will be running two workshops, one for kids [kids under 10 need to be accompanied by an adult] and one for teens/adults.

- Sarah McIntyre, Children's Book Illustrator and creator of Vern & Lettuce for the DFC, will be running a workshop and reading from her new book "Morris the Mankiest Monster".

- The Comic Cast will host a round table talk with Irish comic creators focusing on getting started and self publishing your work both in print and on the web. Full list of participants will be posted closer to the event. I would like to encourage people to either comment here or get in touch with me if they have any questions/topics they would be interested in seeing discussed during the talk.

The above are the workshops that are confirmed to take place so far, others will be added once details are confirmed. Also don't forget 24 hour comics day itself will also be happening, all are welcome to come and draw for 24 mins or the full 24 hours. Set your own challenge [as I'll be running the workshops I will be doing a 12 hour comic :D] or take the 24 hour comic challenge, it's up to you.

24 hour comics day is 100% free for all talking part, however due to space some of the workshops will have limited numbers. Please email me [contact email is listed on 24 hour comics day website] if you wish to take part in one of the workshops as any that prove really popular I can look into maybe running twice. All the workshops and talks will take place on the Saturday, 17th of October.

Reminder the deadline is coming for the 24 hour comics anthology on the 4th, there is some wiggle room with the deadline but people need to email me and let me know if they need it - submission info is in the first post of this thread. Anthology is open all styles of comics and you don't have to attend the event to submit.

24hourposter09web.jpg

Reminder to everyone that 24 hour comics day is two weeks away. We've had some great press recently including two pieces in the Irish indo so the workshops are filling up.

Advertisement