Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for dealing with Residents Committee if renting a property

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In which case its an action on the part of the Management Company by an agent acting on their behalf- not a residents committee at all. Perhaps the OP has confused the terminology?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

i suspect thats what has in fact happened carrick

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Flah

3dpo i disagree with every point you make but not going to have a debate here, just to say im disappointed that you would be happy if someone got clamped in your space even though you were not using it

to clarify the position the residents committe are voted by other owners of property, (but re-elected every year unopposed)

this resident committe employs the management company , and can employ any management company they wish.

the member of the resident committe in this case rang the clampers to clamp me as she personally didnt think i should be parking there although it was not interfereing directly with her , or anyone else -

I am happy to say i have been speaking with other residents in my area and plans are afoot to petition the resident committee to remove th directors of the resident commitee as a result of clamping in the area.

Maybe it wont work , but it will at least get these people to think twice before interfereing in private peoples life's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Flah- the owners of the properties are the members of the 'Management Company' and on an annual basis appoint a Management Agent. It is often the case that residents (occupants of the properties- as opposed to owners) may have their own committee to liaise with the Management Company- this is not the case in this instance. I misunderstood you- when you called it a Residents Committee.....

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Sorry to hijack the thread, I have nothing to offer the OP although I sympathise with his case, seems he had a verbal arrangement to use that space which was no business of any member of residents committee/ management company.

However, this directors payment is for me a new thing, my properties management company (of which of course I am a member as a property owner) has a voted board of directors who provide their token services for free (not much required, more of a legal requirement than anything), and the only person paid directly is the management agent (and obviously thereon the cleaners, landscapers and other services he employs). Why would owners in this complex be paying other owners for....little if nothing really...is this common cause I've never heard of it??

Best of luck with getting satisfaction out of this Flah :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I am a director of a management company and do not get a single cent. For me, I am protecting my investment by bothering to get involved, so many others won't give their time. My services are much more than token, I spend several hours a week following up on development issues.

Back to the OP, I think it's irrelevant who called the clampers. They were parking in a space they weren't entitled to and got away with it for 18 months and are now complaining. I wouldn't, you had a bonus for 18 months by not having to pay...you really have zero right to moan that someone has called time on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

athtrasna wrote: »
    Back to the OP, I think it's irrelevant who called the clampers. They were parking in a space they weren't entitled to and got away with it for 18 months and are now complaining. I wouldn't, you had a bonus for 18 months by not having to pay...you really have zero right to moan that someone has called time on it!
    Indeed. OP if the property was originally advertised with parking then your real gripe is with your landlord, and you such consider seeking a rent reduction to compensate for the temporary parking fee. If the property wasn't clearly advertised as coming with allocated parking then there's not much you can do.

There's a reason why owners and renters alike pay a premium for parking spaces in estates like Northwood. If they choose not to regularly use their allocated spaces then that's entirely their own prerogative.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

athtrasna wrote: »
    I am a director of a management company and do not get a single cent. For me, I am protecting my investment by bothering to get involved, so many others won't give their time. My services are much more than token, I spend several hours a week following up on development issues.

No insult intended athtrasna, I'm considering joining the directors of my own complex, and it was in that context that I was aware of their involvement being lightened by a pretty decent and competent agent. Hence the "token" role.

On the OPs issue, its clear its part of a bigger issue, I would not like to live in a development where such unnecessary sanctions were being carried out raising tensions for more than just the OP it seems, live and let live, but some people just don't like their "renter" neighbours...can't beat snobbery can you.

Advertisement