Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Backup solutions for Win 2K8 Server x64 Box

• 27-05-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

I'm currently use Backup Exec 10d running on a Server 2003 SP2 box connected via FC to a Dell PW robot.

All was fine until a new box which originally meant to be running VMWare ESXi was introduced to my backup scope.
    but is now running Windows Server 2K8 x64 natively and a few Linux Hyper-V hosts due VMWare not be on the approved list from a software firm.

So my issue is Backup Exec 10d does not have a client I can use on the box and I've no budget to upgrade everything to a newer version.

What free programs or solution do you guys use or recommend for 2K8 x64 backups ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

We use ARCserve for our backups, its not cheap however.

You could try the NTbackup.. and map a drive to your storage box.. I have mixed feelings about NTbackup though

or

You could just run Backup Exec clients on the actual Guest OS's (Virtual Machines) themselves, bypassing the Win2008.

Im surprised however that HyperV is on the Supported list and VMware isnt..

I should have asked are you trying to backup the VMs or win2008?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I've tried using the Windows built in snapshot backup {NTBackup} software to save to a share on the backup Server but it keeps failing.
    Also scheduled backups are only allowed to a physically connect drive.

I'm mainly concerned with backing up the Window Server and data, all the HV host are Linux and FreeBSD so I've a cron job running on then for backups.

We use ARCserve for our backups, its not cheap however.

You could try the NTbackup.. and map a drive to your storage box.. I have mixed feelings about NTbackup though

or

You could just run Backup Exec clients on the actual Guest OS's (Virtual Machines) themselves, bypassing the Win2008.

Im surprised however that HyperV is on the Supported list and VMware isnt..

I should have asked are you trying to backup the VMs or win2008?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I've tried using the Windows built in snapshot backup {NTBackup} software to save to a share on the backup Server but it keeps failing.
    Also scheduled backups are only allowed to a physically connect drive.

I'm mainly concerned with backing up the Window Server and data, all the HV host are Linux and FreeBSD so I've a cron job running on then for backups.

HyperV is a bitch with ntbackup "if" the servers its hosting aren't MS.
    So in your case i would recommend you stop the vm guests when backing up.

Advertisement