Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole with MA

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I finished college there in April, been doing my thesis and looking for a job since then. I applied for social there a few weeks ago but i am wondering will i not get it because my thesis is not in untill October although i've completed all lectures and exams. When i finished my undergrad 2 years ago i got the dole straight away. Does anyone have experience in dealing with this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

You shouldn't be getting it, you're still in full time education until you've submitted your thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Is that your own personal opionion or is it the law. It seems pretty unfair that people who are also doing a masters that finished in may are able to sign on straight away. I am availble to work as i am not attending lectures

It's both.

You are not available to work, you have the summer to concentrate on your thesis.

If I were working full time, and took a month off for holidays, I'm "available to work", but couldn't sign on! This is a similar situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Nari85 wrote: »
    I finished college there in April, been doing my thesis and looking for a job since then. I applied for social there a few weeks ago but i am wondering will i not get it because my thesis is not in untill October although i've completed all lectures and exams. When i finished my undergrad 2 years ago i got the dole straight away. Does anyone have experience in dealing with this?

Talk to student welfare person they will be well up on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 another1

I think it will be considered still as education period therefore not graduated,no rights ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Sorry but your wrong, i have been getting it for the last few months now.

I'm happy that you're getting it, but getting it does not mean that you're entitled to it, and I maintain that you shouldn't be entitled to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ivorygal

Nari85, I know tonnes of people you are in the same situation as you and they're all getting the dole because they're entitled to it.

Advertisement