Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for patronising a muppet

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

I’ve been banned from the UCD forum for “personal abuse”. I pm’d the mod asking him to reference what he considered to be “personal abuse” and he said I had a patronising tone.

Personally I think that being banned for having a patronising tone is quite arbitrary and excessive.
    I though that the point of warnings / infractions was to sanction posters in borderline cases. Surely that would be more appropriate than getting the banning stick out?

Short Story
    El Siglo posted something completely wrong presented as a factual answer to a posters question, got irate at being corrected and ranted a good bit “I don't care, f*ck sake …It's a public forum, not Questions and Answers”, and I got banned for being condescending in my reply, in particular “You see, I wasn't actually threatening you, it was a "joke". One could say that you've made a "mountain out of a molehill". This is a figure of speech (stop me if I'm going to fast). I'm not actually suggesting you've made an actual mountain.”

Yes that is condescending, but hardly worth a ban. Maybe a warning to stay on topic, or an infraction if it was really *that* bad. But banned?

The long story
    The thread was about claiming the dole, El Siglo said students cant claim the dole because then no one would go to college. I thought that’s stupid, but I didn’t attack the poster.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60347828&postcount=19

El Siglo was a little annoyed I disagreed with him, and highlighted that I made a typo. This is something I consider to be very silly, so maybe I got a little patronizing, but it was meant in jest.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60353251&postcount=24

El Siglo then goes on one hell of a rant, insulted me a little, said I had no sense of humour and rather than start slinging mud back and forth, I got a little condescending
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60364068&postcount=27

I’m not denying that I was condescending, but I think its strange and bad moding to ban the person who’s being ranted it.

I’m not the perfect poster, I have been banned deservedly from fora before for personal abuse, but nothing lately and nothing because of a “tone”. I don’t have a problem with Raphel’s modding in general.

And even if it was borderline, I think sometimes the mod needs to use a bit of judgement. Some posters are muppets.
    Look at this thread for example http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=57637074
    Look at the last few posts, 22-24. Same forum, same mod. In that case the mod had no problem with the poster being labelled a moron, whats more they agreed.*

Ofcourse we cant have the situation where people go around calling other posters morons because “they know better”. But once in a while, someone is a moron, or someone deserves nothing more than to be patronised**
    I suppose that’s what really gets my goat – sometimes its ok by this mod ok to single out idiots, yet sometimes you can be banned without warning for being patronising.

*Why? Because putting in writing that your safety plan for an event is not going to be adhered to, and putting that advertisement on a board that the safety officer reads, is pretty moronic.

**Que some original humour :D

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Help Desk, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

It seems very disengenuous to me that complaints about moderators are moved to a forum that a)few people read / are aware of and b)nobody can reply to.

Advertisement