Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness - how bad is it going to get?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

How bad is the homeless situation in Ireland going to get? I reckon there are 1,000's and 1000's of families - people who have worked hard and lost their jobs - who are imminently facing living on the street. Even millionaires (like that guy on Slime time on Monday with 24 houses) are facing life on the street.

But the people who have contributed nothing to society and have never worked a day in their lives nor intend to, the dole scrounging scumbags with their social houses and benefits - they don't face this reality. They won't be made homeless. IMO if someone who has contributed faces homelessness (and god knows how many are close to that now) through no fault of their own then they should get the house of the dole scrougers and turf them out.

Or is that not the politically correct thing to say:rolleyes:

So anyway, what do you reckon, are we facing an explosion of homelessness in this country? Some would say it is already happening.

What should we do to help these people?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

I'm putting all my savings into buying stocks of cardboard box making companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

darkman2 wrote: »
    How bad is the homeless situation in Ireland going to get? I reckon there are 1,000's and 1000's of families - people who have worked hard and lost their jobs - who are imminently facing living on the street. Even millionaires (like that guy on Slime time on Monday with 24 houses) are facing life on the street.

But the people who have contributed nothing to society and have never worked a day in their lives nor intend to, the dole scrounging scumbags with their social houses and benefits - they don't face this reality. They won't be made homeless. IMO if someone who has contributed faces homelessness (and god knows how many are close to that now) through no fault of their own then they should get the house of the dole scrougers and turf them out.

So anyway, what do you reckon, are we facing an explosion of homelessness in this country? Some would say it is already happening.

I think his houses were worth 24 million, rather than having 24 of them!

I don't understand why the bank would toss someone out of their house, is there really much point in boarding up a house (cause lets face it, its not going to be sold these days) and putting someone out on the street. Maybe the house could be let out to them instead with the penalty being they will never own it.

As for the dole scroungers (I think it is PC, and I can think of a few other names), there is no moving them. It pays to be lazy in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    I think his houses were worth 24 million, rather than having 24 of them!

I don't understand why the bank would toss someone out of their house, is there really much point in boarding up a house (cause lets face it, its not going to be sold these days) and putting someone out on the street. Maybe the house could be let out to them instead with the penalty being they will never own it.

As for the dole scroungers (I think it is PC, and I can think of a few other names), there is no moving them. It pays to be lazy in this country.

every cnut would then stop paying their mortages if there was no risk of being turfed out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are very few people facing homelessness. Even a lot of homeless people choose to be there. No judge in this country will allow a bank to throw a family with children out of their home. No bank in this country is stupid enough to throw away their reputation in attempting such a move.

Anyone facing eviction from their home has a tonne of different options for putting a roof over their head, ranging from renting to hostellling. It doesn't cost all that much to have *somewhere* to sleep, and very often it costs nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

It'll probably stay the same now that all those money grabbing romanians move onto another country to mooch off of! (Tried to rob me at an atm they did, well i showed them i can tell ya!)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

(Tried to rob me at an atm they did, well i showed them i can tell ya!)

Showed them the money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

It'll probably stay the same now that all those money grabbing romanians move onto another country to mooch off of! (Tried to rob me at an atm they did, well i showed them i can tell ya!)

Roma, get your facts straight.

The are the filth of Europe :mad: Say the word Roma to an actual Romainian and they'll probably spit on the floor in disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Not very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

delllat wrote: »
    every cnut would then stop paying their mortages if there was no risk of being turfed out

Much point of having a country full of empty houses and people sleeping on the street?? Ok maybe this is a bit of an exaggeration :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

KTRIC wrote: »

The are the filth of Europe :mad: Say the word Roma to an actual Romainian and they'll probably spit on the floor in disgust.

Nah i knew a romanian at school aswell and he was some dickhead! All Romanians / ROMA are scum in my bad books to say the least :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

How bad is the homeless situation in Ireland going to get?

The English will buy up all our property and we'll be back to poor Irish tenants living under the heel of the cursed Englishman again. Your new landlord will be "Lord Edward of Ranelagh" or "Sir Charles of Smithfield".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

You tool. So you people see them as below the Jews now? Your location is also noted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

seamus wrote: »
    No judge in this country will allow a bank to throw a family with children out of their home. No bank in this country is stupid enough to throw away their reputation in attempting such a move.

Maybe the big banks wont do this for now, but is has happened, is happening every day and will only get worse im afraid.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0526/1224247404252.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82,378 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do you know why people are on the street, and not in shelters? Because the money is being doled out to people who don't really need it as badly.

Overheal wrote: »
    Because the money is being doled out to people who don't really need it as badly.

The Romans?

markesmith wrote: »
    You tool. So you people see them as below the Jews now? Your location is also noted.

Do you know anything about them ???

I've also reported the personal abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

[quote=darkman2;60428745

[/quote]
    You do know you can't claim the dole unless you worked for 2 years paying PRSI and PAYE?

Just jumping the bandwagon and spouting generalisations won't help you make your point im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Who are "you people" & what have the jews got to do with anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You do know you can't claim the dole unless you worked for 2 years paying PRSI and PAYE?

Just jumping the bandwagon and spouting generalisations won't help you make your point im afraid

What about the kids just turned 18 that walk out of secondary school and into the dole office, to stay there for the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

[....]Even millionaires (like that guy on Slime time on Monday with 24 houses) are facing life on the street.[....]

[....]But the people who have contributed nothing to society and have never worked a day in their lives nor intend to.... They won't be made homeless[....]

lol, survival of the fittest is turned on it's head I guess..

People that have houses they can afford to pay for are fine, regardless of the rich/poor divide..

The idiots that blatantly over-spent and used their banks to live outside their means are in trouble, and good enough for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course you can. You just don't get all that much unless you knock up some young one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Homelessness won't get worse, people will just lose the glory of paying a mortgage & instead will be housed in one of the many idle houses sitting pretty all around the country.

The dole scroungers will always have an excuse not to work, like adhd, depression & my personal favourite back pain. So things won't really change there.

Most people who are homeless are that way due to an addiction to drugs, alcohol or mental health issues. So my guess would be to increase support & change in these areas. But you can't help someone who doesn't want to change, you can throw all the free houses you want at them but until they are willing to clean up their act then it will be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No, there's nothing politically incorrect about it - why would there be? I love how those who are a bit more moderate-thinking are spoken to as if they actually support groundless dole-scrounging.
    So you've just slammed KTRIC for racism (well you put words in his mouth regarding the Jews) and then implied all Germans think like nazis... because they're German. You even used the "you people" phrase which seems very much like something a racist would say. And how do you even know KTRIC is German?

In other news: LOL at the idiocy of people referring to Roma as "Romanians" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

AH, the homeless, dole abusing skangers, roma/nians, jews.

Yeah, this thread is gonna go well, what could possibly go wrong?

orestes wrote: »
    AH, the homeless, dole abusing skangers, roma/nians, jews.

Yeah, this thread is gonna go well, what could possibly go wrong?

One word, Nigerians and travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Caoimhín wrote: »
    One word, Nigerians and travellers.

Hate to break it to you...but there's something really wrong with that sentence :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well, looking at the bright side, it could be camping everyday!!

Dudess wrote: »
    No, there's nothing politically incorrect about it - why would there be? I love how those who are a bit more moderate-thinking are spoken to as if they actually support groundless dole-scrounging.

So you've just slammed KTRIC for racism (well you put words in his mouth regarding the Jews) and then implied all Germans think like nazis... because they're German. You even used the "you people" phrase which seems very much like something a racist would say. And how do you even know KTRIC is German?

In other news: LOL at the idiocy of people referring to Roma as "Romanians" :D

Thanks Dudess,

I am in fact Irish and I have no Nazi tendencies that I'm aware of, apart from my deep seated hatred of the French, but we're all allowed that ;)

I still can't understand the problem the general Irish populice have with telling the difference between Roma and Romanians !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Do you know anything about them ???

I've also reported the personal abuse.

This is the sort of whiney double standard that does my head in.

So it's alright for you to spout xenophopic drivel, slagging off an entire race of people, but not for someone to respond, in what is a very inoffensive manner, all things considered.

Personal abuse my whatsit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Abuse is abuse. I agree though, condemning every single Roma person is out of order.

Advertisement