Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late to apply????

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Is it too late to apply for courses???
    According to all the uni/colleges websites , "apply through the CAO"
    When looking up CAO website... applications to be in by 1st February.

I am wanting to do the Veterinary Nurses course or Pharmacology courses but yet again i am obviously too late.

I want to futher my career rather than stay in a place where i am not appreciated in. Yes management problems. Enough said .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

You can do the Vet Assisstant course in Athlone IT, part-time over two years. It's a HETAC level 6 Higher Cert afaik. Fees for this are in or about 2000 per year.

Or you could probably still apply to one of the plc colleges that do Vet Assistant/ Animal Care, FETAC level 5.
    Some centres running this course are:
    Carlow Institute of Further Education,
    Killester College,
    Monaghan Institute of Further Education,
    Cavan Institute of FE
    Bray Institute of Further Education
    Dun Laoghaire College of FE
    St Johns Central College Cork
    Sligo Institute of FE

Goggle any or all, also qualifax will give you a more comprehensive listing for all related courses; www.qualifax.ie

The Vet Nursing dip (Dip VN) in UCD is due to have its status changed from Diploma Minor Award to a full level 7 degree in the next couple of years. A level 7 ordinary degree in Vet Assistant iscurrently only available on a full-time basis from Athlone IT.

There may be a possibilty of getting to college this year through the CAO Vacant Places facility in August but the selection of courses is very restricted and chances are that popular courses like Animal Care at third level wont have vacant places and so wont be offered. Your best bet would be the PLC colleges listed above.

RE the Pharmacology there is a Pharmacy Technician FETAC level 5 course in the Drogheda Institute of Further Education. Similar courses are also available in St Johns Central College Cork, Tralee Community College, Cavan Institute, Central College Limerick, Mallow College of FE, Limerick College of FE. FETAC Level 5 courses in this field can focus on pharmacy sales and / or the Applied Science aspect. They are a good foundation for applying to third level next year.

FAS offer a Pharmacy Sales traineeship in their Balldoyle and Loughlinstown training centres.

Athlone IT offers a 3 year part time HETAC level 6 Higher Certificate in Pharmacy Technician training. Cost approx 2000 euro. You can progress on to do a further 2 years part time to give you a HETAC Level 7 BSc in Pharmaceutical Technology. Its a long route to go to qualify though.

Again you could check on www.qualifax.ie for similar courses.

Good luck with whatever you do OP.

Advertisement