Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised vegtable patch

Options
  • 27-05-2009 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions where to buy a wooden kit for a small vegtable patch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Any timber merchants or builders providers would have untreated timber suitable for a raised bed. Then you'll just need a saw, hammer and nails.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

PM sent.

Ex scaffolding boards are a cheap alternative (around €5 a plank I think) from builders merchants.

I have scaffolding boards - €3 each from Chadwicks - but for a flower bed. I wouldn't use them for a vegetable bed personally. You don't know what is going to seep into the soil from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Currahee01

IMO the scaffolding planks should be safe enough to use, any seepage should be minimal, at least compared to sleepers or similar!
    But if in doubt use untreated timbers as stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

you can get scaffolding boards that haven't been treated with anything toxic. Just ask when your out buying them and they will know. Thats what I've used and they are pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

they will last longer if u staple 2 layers of heavy duty plastic on the inner face and top and bottom edge
    this also deals with the seepage issue

oh crap - thanks for reminding me. I meant to pick up some polythene for that very reason - topsoil is being delivered tomorrow. I foresee a trip tomorrow evening to get some...

Advertisement