Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning, Balbriggan beach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

For the second year Balbriggan Beach is probably the most polluted beach on the East Coast.

Dont go into the water
    The tests were carried out from 1 year to 9 months ago - before phase 2 of the Balbriggan/Skerries waste water treatment facility was up and running, with phase 3 currently under development.

Why not publish the current weekly levels after tests are conducted as historical data is pretty useless to the public and is misleading, especially in the case of Balbriggan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The tests were carried out from 1 year to 9 months ago - before phase 2 of the Balbriggan/Skerries waste water treatment facility was up and running, with phase 3 currently under development.

Why not publish the current weekly levels after tests are conducted as historical data is pretty useless to the public and is misleading, especially in the case of Balbriggan.

Is phase 2 up and running? Misleading or not, its dangerous to go in the water in Balbriggan and has been for a number of years..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Is phase 2 up and running? Misleading or not, its dangerous to go in the water in Balbriggan and has been for a number of years..........

Now ya tell me!!

Is phase 2 up and running?
    See my post above, yes.
    Misleading or not, its dangerous to go in the water in Balbriggan and has been for a number of years..........
    What dangers are there exactly? I've read the report you linked and it mentions none.

If there were immediate riskd to people from swimming, paddling etc.., in the water at Balbriggan, Malahide, Loughshinny etc.., access to those would be prohibited.

Directive 2006/7/EC states that a bathing area is deemed unsafe if it fails to meet the minimum standards for five consecutive years, something which none of the bathing areas in Ireland have 'achieved'.

Theres no doubt that the water quality might not have been the best in the past, but saying it's dangerous to go into the water in Balbriggan is nothing short of ridiculous scaremongering. The EPA have asked for FCC to erect notices on Balbriggan beach to advise of the water quality, surely it would be closed down if it was dangerous?

See my post above, yes.

What dangers are there exactly? I've read the report you linked and it mentions none.

If there were immediate riskd to people from swimming, paddling etc.., in the water at Balbriggan, Malahide, Loughshinny etc.., access to those would be prohibited.

Directive 2006/7/EC states that a bathing area is deemed unsafe if it fails to meet the minimum standards for five consecutive years, something which none of the bathing areas in Ireland have 'achieved'.

Theres no doubt that the water quality might not have been the best in the past, but saying it's dangerous to go into the water in Balbriggan is nothing short of ridiculous scaremongering. The EPA have asked for FCC to erect notices on Balbriggan beach to advise of the water quality, surely it would be closed down if it was dangerous?

Did you read the report? saying that it is safe to swim in balbriggan beach stupidity of the highest order.

Are you saying that it is safe to swim on balbriggan beach?

Are you John Gummer in disguise?

• Advertisement

Did you read the report?
    Yes I read the report and nowhere did it say it was dangerous to swim in the water, therefore I am clearly saying it is not dangerous to swim in the water.

Dozens of people swim on Balbriggan beach each day and are not in any danger, do you seriously think FCC, The State or the EU would allow it if there was a danger?

Simply put it's a blatant lie to say it's dangerous to swim on Balbriggan beach, nothing short of scaremongering, but there you do you obviously have a different definition of danger than me so being the tolerant individual I am I will live and let live.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I suppose that one of the issues with these reports is that the authors are not prepared to give an indication as to the level of danger that this pollution poses to public health; & what action needs to be taken by the public in the affected areas.

Looking through the Fingalcoco.ie site I see that there is a Warning Notice in effect for Sutton Beach. Total Coliforms per 100ml is noted to be at 3,700. Bathing water quality results from the Front Strand in Balbriggan last August had a total coliform level of 14,400 per 100ml.

Can any remember a warning notice being posted last August?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Beach has Ecoli.Or so I heard.

Id Stay away.
    cathy

cathy01 wrote: »
    Beach has Ecoli.Or so I heard.

cathy

Source please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I suppose that one of the issues with these reports is that the authors are not prepared to give an indication as to the level of danger that this pollution poses to public health; & what action needs to be taken by the public in the affected areas.

Looking through the Fingalcoco.ie site I see that there is a Warning Notice in effect for Sutton Beach. Total Coliforms per 100ml is noted to be at 3,700. Bathing water quality results from the Front Strand in Balbriggan last August had a total coliform level of 14,400 per 100ml.

Can any remember a warning notice being posted last August?

Yes I do, and I recall that there was another notice posted in the past 3 years for Sutton beach as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

source...woman at the end of the till at TESCO's
    I wouldnt take a chance.
    The place down there is Filthy.
    Did you see a few groups from skerries have done a adopt a beach.
    Different groups and schools are given a plot of beach to look after.
    They get a map, with their plot marked on it.I just thought what a wonderful idea.
    I wish we could do it here in Balbriggan.
    It wouldnt do much for the water mind you.
    cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

I know this is slightly off topic but I just want to say how much I love Balbriggan beach. After a crap day in work I enjoy a walk along from the Martello Tower towards Gormanstown. Being near a beach is the main reason (apart from the prices;)) that I moved to Balbriggan. Sure there is litter but not enough to ruin the experience for me. I keep saying I will join the local Tidy Towns group and start helping with the litter situation, one of these days.

As far as I can see people really enjoy the Beach and I have seen plenty of people swimming there - and I have never heard of anyone getting sick from it. I suppose all I am saying is - enjoy the beach, if you are nervous about swimming there then dont, just stop focussing on the one negative aspect of a great facility.

bluetonic wrote:
    Simply put it's a blatant lie to say it's dangerous to swim on Balbriggan beach, nothing short of scaremongering, but there you do you obviously have a different definition of danger than me so being the tolerant individual I am I will live and let live.

Seems im not the only liar around,,,,,

The fingal ran this story and it called balbriggan beach the worst in the country.
    The report entitled 'The Quality of Bathing Water in Ireland – A Report for the Year 2008' measured pollution in designated bathing areas around the country against EU mandatory and guide standards and rated them poor, sufficient or good. According to the report, Balbriggan beach is effectively the worst in the country as it failed all criteria for the minimum acceptable standards.
    It is the fifth time in the past six years that the beach has failed to achieve the sufficient water quality standard.

When I made the post I did so with no intention to mislead, and it seems I wasnt the only one of this opinion.
    it failed all criteria for the minimum acceptable standards

If this does not mean dangerous then I dont know what does

Can you give me proof of your point that the sea around our beach has improved since the tests were carried out? - didnt think so!

Balbriggan beach is its best amenity and for 5 of the last 6 years the sea around it has been the most polluted in the country.
    This makes me very sad so posting a topic like Warning, balbriggan beach dangerous is not intentionally misleading but calling me a liar for doing so is as per usual with your posting- antagonistic. But this is just you and if I didnt get such laugh from some of your nonsence I would probably call you up on it more.

Mark

Folks - Let's not make it personal & keep it to a rational debate. If this thread turns into a row between individuals I'll lock it. HB

Can you give me proof of your point that the sea around our beach has improved since the tests were carried out? - didnt think so!
    Oh dear, the last three weeks of published tests have been good enough for a Blue Flag under the EU set of standards.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BeachesinFingal/ListofBeaches/FrontStrandBeachBalbriggan/FileDownload,20488,en.pdf

Please bear the above in mind when you are letting people know just how dangerous Balbriggan beach is.

Also people may want to know that there was a spill in the harbour area so FCC are advising against swimming since last Thursday, its accidental spill related and will clear in a few days apparently. I find that speaking to Alan Carthy from FCC water services is definitive, I suggest you get acquainted. A third party environmental testing team have been working at the harbour for the last two days who are also a wealth of information.

Oh dear, the last three weeks of published tests have been good enough for a Blue Flag under the EU set of standards..

The last 3 weeks as you call them is actually 3 tests carried out over a period 9 days, Maybe in Bluetonics little world 9 days is 3 weeks but for me its a couple of days over 1 week.
    25th May to 3rd June

The previous test also showed all 3 markers as being well above acceptable standards and therefore carries a risk to bathers and since the little 9 day trial by Fingal CC the beach has been effectively closed again.

Read the report properly next time or ask Mr Carthy to give you a proper synopsis.
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BeachesinFingal/ListofBeaches/FrontStrandBeachBalbriggan/FileDownload,20488,en.pdf

Please bear the above in mind when you are letting people know just how dangerous Balbriggan beach is.

Also people may want to know that there was a spill in the harbour area so FCC are advising against swimming since last Thursday, its accidental spill related and will clear in a few days apparently. I find that speaking to Alan Carthy from FCC water services is definitive, I suggest you get acquainted. A third party environmental testing team have been working at the harbour for the last two days who are also a wealth of information.

I was on that site and the first and most important thing that got my attention was

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/BeachesinFingal/ListofBeaches/FrontStrandBeachBalbriggan/FileDownload,22235,en.pdf

I read this notice and thought, well I will leave it to you to figure out.
    For anyone who cannot see the link this is it below, it is dated 11th June
    Warning
    Do Not Swim At This Location
    Balbriggan Beach
    DUE TO POLLUTION ACCIDENT WE STRONGLY
    ADVISE NOT TO SWIM AT THIS LOCATION
    George Sharpson

Does this mean what I think it means or should I ring Alan carthy?

Even when provided with hard facts that the water quality of Balbriggan beach has been at Blue Flag standard in during you a period of days at the end of May/beginning of June choose to ignore it and pick up on something else, something which I had already pointed out in my post.

Why?

Just edited to add that when you posted this topic Mark Balbriggan Beach was at Blue Flag standard, fact.

Even when provided with hard facts that the water quality of Balbriggan beach has been at Blue Flag standard in during you a period of days at the end of May/beginning of June choose to ignore it and pick up on something else, something which I had already pointed out in my post.

Why?

Just edited to add that when you posted this topic Mark Balbriggan Beach was at Blue Flag standard, fact.
    When I posted this topic I was going on information that was released in the press that day, see the post.
    The information you posted was not available for public viewing at that time.

The information itself has only shown 9 days of Blue flag standards at Balbriggan front beach.
    It has also shown that before 25th May the beach was well below acceptable standards in all 3 markers which are standards put in place by the EU to confirm or reject healthy bathing conditions of beaches

Since the 11th of June the front beach in balbriggan has been deemed unsafe for bathing by the Fingal CC who have lower standards on bathing than the EU so it must be really bad
    On the 11th of June a warning was issues
    Do Not Swim At This Location
    Balbriggan Beach
    DUE TO POLLUTION ACCIDENT WE STRONGLY
    ADVISE NOT TO SWIM AT THIS LOCATION
    George Sharpson

As it stands right now it is Dangerous to swim at Balbriggan front beach and if one good thing comes from this thread it is that more people will be aware of this.

Lets E shake on it, no more nonsence brother :D small community of locals here, lets not let people think we are always bickering on the web as well as real life

Lets E shake on it, no more nonsence brother :D small community of locals here, lets not let people think we are always bickering on the web as well as real life
    Fair enough, right onto the Back Strand now, I say it's filthy.... ;)

Aw, shucks! I'm welling up here lads. HB

• Advertisement

Fair enough, right onto the Back Strand now, I say it's filthy.... ;)

Fair play our..... wouldnt mind a stroll on the back beach now but luckily(un) for mesmelf im busy a little bumbel bee in work. It'll be sunday before I get down.......

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Just a small note, i'm sur you're all aware that FCC is no longer cleaning any beaches this year.

Skerries answer to the lack of support from our council(Letter below) and I pity the visitors to our country, if this is the attitude throughout the country.

You would think in these times we would be trying to keep one industry going! :rolleyes:

June 10th 2009

As Fingal County Council are no longer cleaning our beaches, we are
    starting a new initiative called Skerries Adopt-a-Beach CoastCare.
    Skerries Tidy Towns do a great job but they need help. The idea is to
    get more people involved in actively picking up litter on our beaches.
    We have divided the beach into 18 mini-beaches and different clubs,
    schools or families are going to adopt each one. Half of the slots
    have been taken already but we need more people. Anyone who agrees to
    take it on will get a certificate and map to display in their
    club/home, health and safety tips and a box of gloves for the club or
    a litter picker upper if it is a family.
    What we would like is for members to take 'ownership' of their beaches
    and pick up a few bits of litter there whenever they can. This does
    not mean any big organised clean-ups (though if they want to do this
    we would arrange support and bags) just generally keeping an eye on
    the litter situation there.
    Our committee will sign all members of the Adopt-a-Beach up with Coast
    Care so there will be general liability coverage.
    We are hoping to have filled all the positions in time to publish the
    map with all the names in the Summer edition of Skerries News. We are
    also looking into getting the map in one of the noticeboards on the
    coast and putting up posters around Skerries. We have the full support
    of the Skerries Community Association, Tidy Towns and An Taisce.
    We want as many people to be aware of this as possible. Throughout the
    year we would put in updates in Skerries News and there will also be a
    page dedicated to it on the Skerries News website with a link from the
    Skerries Community Association website.
    We have all seen how bad the beaches can get over a bank holiday
    weekend and we do not want a repeat of this.
    If you would like to take on a stretch of beach or can help in any way
    please contact us. We can email the map to anyone interested with the
    available beaches. We are also looking for more committee members.
    We will be at the Fun Swim in the Springers this Saturday 13th at 3pm.
    We will have the map of the beaches with us and will be happy to
    answers any questions.

Regards
    Emily Diebold
    Skerries Adopt-A-Beach CoastCare
    editor@skerriesnews.ie

Advertisement