Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging a battery in car?

• 27-05-2009 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Quick question: Is is OK to charge the cars battery while the terminals are still connected to the car??

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Why would you need to? Once you get the car running the car will charge the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Why would you need to? Once you get the car running the car will charge the battery.

But maybe the engine is not starting because of a low/dead battery? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the terminals need to be disconnected.

Its not as if it takes a lot of effort anyway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

legs11 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the terminals need to be disconnected.

Its not as if it takes a lot of effort anyway. :rolleyes:
    I can't see why you'd need to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

unkel wrote: »
    But maybe the engine is not starting because of a low/dead battery? :)

Yep, so jump start it and leave the engine ticking over for a while before using it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

thanks.

the battery is buried underneath the spare tire in the boot and is just awkward to get at. There are terminals under the bonnet that are alot easier to connect charger to.

I have jump started and ran for a few miles (15), but I would like to put battery on trickle charge for the night as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I wouldn't advise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

thanks.

the battery is buried underneath the spare tire in the boot and is just awkward to get at. There are terminals under the bonnet that are alot easier to connect charger to.

I have jump started and ran for a few miles (15), but I would like to put battery on trickle charge for the night as well.

Is it a 3 Series? If so, you can't trickle charge the battery via the terminals under the bonnet - well, when I tried that overnight it had no effect at all, car was still dead in the morning.

Terminals under the bonnet are for Jump Leads or battery pack only.

Advertisement