Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen Coyle heading for Celtic..

• 27-05-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Looks like it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/27/celtic-manager-owen-coyle-burnley
    wrote:
    Celtic have opened negotiations with a view to appointing Burnley's Owen Coyle as their new manager by the end of this week, according to a senior source in the club.

The Scottish club have, as expected, moved swiftly after Gordon Strachan tendered his resignation on Monday. Coyle and Tony Mowbray were installed as the initial favourites and, while the West Bromwich Albion manager remains one of four names on the Celtic shortlist, it is thought the position is now Coyle's should he want it.

Coyle is due to go on a family holiday on Saturday, making it perfectly conceivable he will be unveiled in Glasgow on Friday afternoon.

The Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell has delayed his trip to Rome for tonight's Champions League final with a view to securing the services of Coyle, who guided Burnley into the Premier League on Sunday courtesy of a play-off victory over Sheffield United. Lawwell has held a series of meetings in London in the last three days. An official approach to Burnley for Coyle's services is now imminent, with Lawwell understood to be confident of getting his man.

Compensation for the remainder of Coyle's Burnley contract will not prove prohibitive. What may cause Celtic a problem, though, is if the former St Johnstone manager feels morally compelled to stay with the club he has guided to English football's top flight with relatively minor resources.

Burnley are poised to offer Coyle a new deal but, given his lifelong attachment to Celtic, it seems unlikely he will resist the lure of Parkhead. Burnley have so far not commented on the latest developments.

Personally I think he would be passing up a major opportunity by not having a crack at the Premiership but best of luck to him if he goes to Celtic!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep just saw it myself on Grauniad, crazy and frankly cowardly in a way - Celtic is the easy option (providing he wins the SLP of course!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

One way of looking at it is that he might be better off failing at Celtic than at Burnley. Not that I would want to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Sizzler wrote: »
    Looks like it...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/may/27/celtic-manager-owen-coyle-burnley

Personally I think he would be passing up a major opportunity by not having a crack at the Premiership but best of luck to him if he goes to Celtic!

Same as. I'd say he'll stay but put yourself in his shoes (playing football Manager ;) ) and it would be a tough offer to turn down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

mike65 wrote: »
    Yep just it myself on Grauniad, crazy and frankly cowardly in a way - Celtic is the easy option (providing he wins the SLP of course!)
    cowardly how?? Celtic being an easy option, am not so sure about that. pressure in Scotland is heavy enough, considering it's a 2 horse race and 2nd aint good enough. living in the eyes of the media and a city where half it's residents are only waiting for you to fail. might not be agreed with on here, but Celtic are a massive club and if he doesn't take the chance to manage them now he might never get it again. chances of Burnley staying in the EPL this season are how high?? are you willing to put a weeks wage on them not going right back down???? in the EPL he won't be expected to win anything, 17th spot being a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

he doesn't owe burnley anything.

but whose to say this wouldn't be his last chance at the premiership? if he fails at celtic what happens?

i'd hate to see it happen, but celtic is hard to turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

They should be going for Slaven Bilic. He is very interested in the job. He will be the high profile manager they want and desperately need.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070019.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Maybe Celtic is his dream job and the EPL simply doesnt compare, as previous poster said he really doesnt owe Burnley anything, I doubt even their chairman could have dreamed they would be an EPL team next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SlickRic wrote: »
    he doesn't owe burnley anything.

but whose to say this wouldn't be his last chance at the premiership? if he fails at celtic what happens?

i'd hate to see it happen, but celtic is hard to turn down.

He could probably get a decent job after 'failing' with Celtic, as long as he did ok. If Burnley were to get relegated in quick fashion, he wouldn't be offered the Celtic job again in a hurry, or any other decent job.

Staying with Burnley would mean he has to keep them up from a career point of view, the 'punishment' for failing at Celtic would be less imo.

He could probably get a decent job after 'failing' with Celtic, as long as he did ok. If Burnley were to get relegated in quick fashion, he wouldn't be offered the Celtic job again in a hurry, or any other decent job.

Staying with Burnley would mean he has to keep them up from a career point of view, the 'punishment' for failing at Celtic would be less imo.

fair enough.

but even if what you say is true, how much would you want to see if the team you moulded can hack it in the Premier League?

this would weigh a lot on my mind too.

but again, I understand that Celtic is a big job for anyone to turn down.

True but make a success of Burnley ie keep them up for 2 years and he'd have several good offers, fail at Celtic his best job will be behind him. Which given his age would be a poor outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mike65 wrote: »
    True but make a success of Burnley ie keep them up for 2 years and he'd have several good offers, fail at Celtic his best job will be behind him. Which given his age would be a poor outlook.

All true - i'm surprised he would be taking it; i thought he'd give it at least one season in the prem to see how his team do. However, I can understand the lure of Celtic for him, he'd be stupid to not even talk to them to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,106 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

SlickRic wrote: »
    but even if what you say is true, how much would you want to see if the team you moulded can hack it in the Premier League?

I dont think thats even an issue tbh, we all pretty much know the team he moulded to get promotion cant hack it in the PL, no promoted team has really been able to bar maybe Reading (and imo there's a gulf between some of the players reading had and Burnley's players). Everyone else has needed a serious overhaul to make it in the premiership. I'd say as far as he's concerned that chapter is over and its onto a new challenge, beit with Burnley creating a new team or at Celtic.

I think he'd be mad not to move to celtic tbh, the best he could really hope for in the prem is to only get beaten by most teams and just about survive. I'd imagine managing is a lot less fun when you're losing more often then not. At Celtic he can be in the same environment he would have enjoyed last season, and gets to manage at the highest club level in the world in the champions league.

Also as was pointed out, if Burnley go down, theres a good chance he'd be fired despite it likely not being his fault (we've seen this soo soo many times) whereas a decent period at Celtic keeps him in line for a higher profile premiership job.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I dont think thats even an issue tbh, we all pretty much know the team he moulded to get promotion cant hack it in the PL, no promoted team has really been able to bar maybe Reading (and imo there's a gulf between some of the players reading had and Burnley's players). Everyone else has needed a serious overhaul to make it in the premiership. I'd say as far as he's concerned that chapter is over and its onto a new challenge, beit with Burnley creating a new team or at Celtic.

I think he'd be mad not to move to celtic tbh, the best he could really hope for in the prem is to only get beaten by most teams and just about survive. I'd imagine managing is a lot less fun when you're losing more often then not. At Celtic he can be in the same environment he would have enjoyed last season, and gets to manage at the highest club level in the world in the champions league.

Also as was pointed out, if Burnley go down, theres a good chance he'd be fired despite it likely not being his fault (we've seen this soo soo many times) whereas a decent period at Celtic keeps him in line for a higher profile premiership job.

i don't disagree with any of this.

it's just the challenge of keeping Burnley up must weigh on his mind. i'm sure he's become attached to the team etc.

but yes, of course any manager in his position would have to be a bit mad to turn down the Celtic job, or be completely enamoured with the club they're at and the challenge set before them.

Celtic is just too enticing i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Might work out great for both concerned. Coyle takes the Celtic job and get's them back to winning ways, i.e not dropping priceless points. Strachan comes in at Burnley, takes away all of their attacking flair and very good footballing ability (they knocked my team Arsenal out of the Carling Cup) and makes them very difficult to beat.

Ouch! :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

DenMan wrote: »
    They should be going for Slaven Bilic. He is very interested in the job. He will be the high profile manager they want and desperately need.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/8070019.stm

He's an international manager though, far too risky imo. Could be excellent, but could also be a complete disaster. Coyle would be a much better fit at this moment - knows the league, experience with limited funds and obviously knows how to get the best from a limited squad given what he has achieved in the Championship and against EPL sides in the league cup.

I'd be more than happy to see him manage Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I really hope Coyle stays and gives Burnley a crack. I'd love to see Mowbray get the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

What Paulo said, we need a manager with experience of week-in week-out league team management, an international manager with a trip here and there to watch club games and getting players once every 12 weeks is a big risk.

Would love to see Coyle there tbh, considering what he did with the limited resources at Burnley, he could certainly work with some of the dead wood thats left to him were he to take the Celtic job. And despite what people may think, the Celtic job is a big big job.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

****.... I just thought of something.... is he Catholic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

PauloMN wrote: »

Oh yeah... and what height is he and what colour is his hair???? Dont want to be feedin the media vultures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

PauloMN wrote: »

Owen Columba Coyle.....i would hazard a guess at yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

Sizzler wrote: »
    Looks like it...

Nice to see royalty is alive and kicking in the game these days...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

legs11 wrote: »
    Nice to see royalty is alive and kicking in the game these days...:rolleyes:

Why, who does the Queen support?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He could stay at Burnley, hope to finish 17th, just to prove himself. Or he could go into his dream job.

Burnley don't have great players. Gary Caldwell's less talented brother is their captain. Eagles seems to be their most highly rated player amongst the public and I don't even know if he's premiership class. 33 year old Robbie Blake was the fans player of the year. I think the young Irish player Chris McCann is the player he rates highest. 56 starts for him this season at the age of 21 and Coyle has sang his praises. Yet he's hardly known in this country.

Burnley would have to replace most of their team to stay up so the team he moulded would be no more anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Please let this be true. Any hope Burnley have dies if he goes imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It seems he's not joining after all.
    Owen Coyle declines Celtic offer to take over as manager

May 27 2009

OWEN Coyle has tonight decided not to take up an offer from Celtic to take over as manager, the Daily Record has learned.

We revealed earlier today that the 42-year-old Burnley boss has been in talks with Parkhead chiefs over succeeding Gordon Strachan in the Celtic hotseat.

But the Daily Record now understands Coyle felt unable to take up the offer because it would mean walking away from a million-pound bonus he was to receive from Burnley for getting the club into the Premiership.

Family reasons also played into the decision, with Coyle's family now well settled in England following his move to Burnley 18 months ago.

And it is understood the lure of guiding his Burnley side into England's top flight also influenced his decision, after their stunning play-off victory over Sheffield United on Monday.

His decision not to take up Celtic's offer does not preclude the chance of the club making him an improved offer to take up his dream job at Parkhead.

But it may also open the way for an approach to Tony Mowbray or Craig Levein, both of whom are also in Celtic's thoughts for the manager's post.

Croatia boss Slaven Bilic and Poland coach Leo Beenhakker have also thrown their names into the hat for the job following Strachan's departure on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Ugh, after reading that last article it looks like he is staying with Burnley.

Anyways as much as I hate to admit it, I think Owen Coyle is the one out of all the promising guys who will make it right to the top of the game.

He has turned careers around at Burnley and brought in players that were considered failures at other clubs. He has young lads playing super football as well. Its not just that its the style of football they play also, the passing the running, the link up play. I really do believe that they will survive in the Premier League. And I think the Coyle will be with a big club at some stage in the not too distant future.

And I hate Burnley with a passion.

Advertisement