Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some good news for 5D MKii owners ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For some excellent and for others more to go wrong :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Interesting, wonder how smooth the video will look as you step change aperture, iso and shutter speed though, still it's more control.

The next evolution might be continuously variable exposure factors with smoothed acceleration, new controls are needed but maybe a new grip plus firmware could upgrade existing gear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I think Canon still needs to offer a better framerate, ideally 24p/25p. Apart from the creative benefits offered by this it would also reduce throughput/processing overhead by ~20% so the footage requires less compression and produces smaller files. It'd be nice if they also offered a more post-production friendly output codec.
    democrates wrote: »
    Interesting, wonder how smooth the video will look as you step change aperture, iso and shutter speed though, still it's more control.

The next evolution might be continuously variable exposure factors with smoothed acceleration, new controls are needed but maybe a new grip plus firmware could upgrade existing gear...

I don't think the object of the exercise is to change exposure in-shot, it's the ability to manually set the exposure parameters before shooting; although, being able to maintain exposure value by balancing ISO and aperture could yield some interesting results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Read this over at dp and can't wait to dabble with my 50mm 1.4!
    Gigs especially will be interesting seperating the frontman from the rest of the band, guess I'll have to get an external mic now.
    Leinsterman what would be best for me..something not too large and obtrusive and between 100-300 squids.

charybdis wrote: »
    I don't think the object of the exercise is to change exposure in-shot, it's the ability to manually set the exposure parameters before shooting; although, being able to maintain exposure value by balancing ISO and aperture could yield some interesting results.
    Update:
    The firmware update is now available and the accompanying instructions reveal that at least ISO and aperture can be varied *during filming* as it mentions the implications of doing so, and I'd bet shutter speed too, also:
    Manual Exposure for movie shooting is also possible with EOS Utility... However the ISO speed, shutter speed and aperture cannot be changed from the software's screen during movie shooting
    That's a pity since using the camera controls risks shake, and like yourself it's auto-ISO with varying dof I'm interested in, still at least now we can try it out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Now I want one even more :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

hmmm i kinda afraid to try update it incase i fook it up!

50mm 1.4 video comes out amazing, pin point!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Got an idea for a learning project with the mkII ... based on seeing the marvellous content at the Eoscars site ... to be honest I'm starting from no experience ... so advice is welcome ... may also be looking to recruit a few fellow learners ...

Plus I need the chance to try out this little baby -

Rode Stereo Video Mic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

may also be looking to recruit a few fellow learners ...
    [/url]

Count me in!

Got an idea for a learning project with the mkII ... based on seeing the marvellous content at the Eoscars site ... to be honest I'm starting from no experience ... so advice is welcome ... may also be looking to recruit a few fellow learners ...

Plus I need the chance to try out this little baby -

Rode Stereo Video Mic
    Excellent idea! A good skunk-works project is exactly the focus I'm missing - I've only got 'test' and 'home' video so far, a joint op would be great fun.

been hankering to see what some my lenses could be pushed to with video:
    85mm f1.2
    TS-E 24mm f3.5 (no need to fake tilt-shift)
    TS-E 90mm f2.8
    70-200mm f2.8 IS (& 1.4x/2x extenders)
    I'm not a pro tog so it'd be good to see how others use those lenses.

Also recently got the zoom h2 portable audio recorder, doubt it's 4 mics are a match for the rode but it's got clean line in recording to mp3.
    If we've got mains I've the thomann t.bone SCT-700 tube mic with pop filter and preamp for warm vocals.

What else, the damped pan/tilt head might be useful, but I've no dolly or other elements of a camera rig, was just looking at diy versions last night.

Could also organise some hosting space with a login where we could ftp project files so folks could remix etc as needed.

I suppose I should recharge the batt and get that firmware in first, I'm still a bit afraid given all the warnings of dire apocaypse on the instructions...

Should we start a new thread maybe or get pm'ing or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement