Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent reduction. Would you ask your landlord?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I just recieved notice yesterday that my rent allowance would be reduced by 20 euro per week. this leaves alot me for to pay at the end of each month. Does anyone think i should ask the landlord to reduce my rent. I have been expecting him to approach me and say that he would reduce it but he hasn't done so. would it be cheeky if i asked him. some feedback would be much appreciated as i dont really know what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Eastofeden wrote: »
    I just recieved notice yesterday that my rent allowance would be reduced by 20 euro per week. this leaves alot me for to pay at the end of each month. Does anyone think i should ask the landlord to reduce my rent. I have been expecting him to approach me and say that he would reduce it but he hasn't done so. would it be cheeky if i asked him. some feedback would be much appreciated as i dont really know what to do.

Two friends of mine have told their landlord they're moving to different appartments over the last few months and the landlord has come back a few days later offering a reduction in rent if they stay so it's definately worth a try.

You'll be waiting forever for a landlord to suggest a rent reduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Eastofeden

thanks zorba. i just have a feeling that they will say no to a reduction but i suppose its worth a try. if they say no i'm outta here. there's plenty of houses around these days. i was reading some other threads and everyone seems to be getting a reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

With rent allowance involved, you can easily make a case.

My work circumstances haven't changed (Thank God!) so I find I have no grounds for such a request. I'm renting out my own home though in another town. My tenants there rely on casual work and things have dried up. I had to reduce what I was asking to acknowledge that. The tracker rate fell for me too though so no change all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Your landlord is not going to go and offer a reduction! You need to ask him/her, and be prepared for them to say no initially, but will probably come back to you when they realise they have very little chance of renting the house out to someone else! Rents have come down nationwide, and landlords at this stage are aware and waiting on such calls from their tenants. Also you should show the letter that you received to prove to your landlord that your rent allowance has been reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

The letter we got re the reduction in rent allowance said that if we wanted to ask the landlord to reduce the rent because of this we could use the letter as evidence.

We had already as this is a very basic cottage got the rent reduced when we moved in last year.

They can only say no after all. Always try.

And of course he will not offer. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 suzyl

I have an apartment that I rent out and my tenant has asked for a reduction in rent. All landlords know the reality is that rents are coming down and have to be prepared to accept less. Don't be afraid to ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would suggest hopping onto DAFT (or elsewhere) and printing out examples of the rent being sought in similar properties in the local- and use this as a bargaining chip with the landlord. I would state at the outset that the rent allowance has been reduced- and while you would like to remain as his/her tenant, that its simply not possible at the current rent being sought. You are looking at (show some nice examples from DAFT that are significantly less- but make sure they are comparable), is there anything he/she can do.

Personally- I'd be of the opinion that you should be getting a significant reduction in the rent (well in excess of the EUR20 a week reduction in the rent allowance). The only thing establishing a floor on rents at the moment- is the rent allowance level (madness......)

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Yes you should they will not make the first move. State your case and maybe he will understand and will give you reduction on your rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

As landlords we were going to do it at the end of the lease but obviously with the changes in taxation our tenant came back to us in April to ask that we bring it forward.

He had the local pages to show us what the rents were in the area.

Our plan has never been to make lots of money, just to cover some of the mortgage and as our mortgage has decreased, we wanted to pass it on.

Take your letter and your prices and just be friendly about it and just say look here are where the proces are, I've had a decrease in rent allowance and it would seem the price at the moment is €???.00

We are hoping to be in a postion to give them the month of for December, as they have got three kids.

If your landlord says no, just say you are going to have to think about your options and thank him for his time and get another place, you will find it at this time. If you really hate moving give him a day to come back to you when you give notice.

If you dont get it, it is not a reflection of your negotiating abilities more his financial problems (is it a fixed mortgage?) and/or head in the sand.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Similar to East Wall Girl I have a place I rent out to help cover the mortgage as between buying and completing I moved in with my girlfriend.

My tenants asked for a decrease when they moved in so it was cheaper than others, they recently asked for another drop and I negotiated with them on that too. It's a renters market, if the landlord won't offer the current market rates and you aren't tied in to a long lease then start looking elsewhere.

Just one thing though, don't ask for something unrealistic. I was asked for a 30% drop and when I checked daft etc He was wanting a €150 discount over market rates. He didn't get it, but I suppose it was a good negotiating idea :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ca3nie

I was paying €900 a month for 5 months ask for a reduction and the landlord put my rent to €825 a month.
    I have moved out recently and the rent has now gone down to €725 a month!! So you should go staight to your landlord and im prety sure his mortgage repayments have gone down!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 pieye

Definitely... for the first time in Irish history not owning is working out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Eastofeden

thanks for the replies everyone. i'm just gonna bite the bullet and do ask for it. the worst that can happen is they say no.
    thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Eastofeden - we got a €200 reduction in our rent two weeks ago.The landlord tried to get us to agree to a smaller reduction but we held our ground.I think she was mainly worried that we might say we were moving out.You should definitely get a decent reduction,if not,move!Its a renter's market for once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dianababyddori

yeah if you tell your landlord that you have to move out to get somewhere cheaper. he'll reduce the rent.

no-one can afford to have empty houses lying free.
    he's happy to have the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

OP be sure to let us know how u get on.

Advertisement