Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover for water tank in Attic

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've got a plastic water tank in my attic, but it has no cover. I want to get a cover for it now to keep out dust and god knows what else might fall in.

I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to get one? B&Q apparently sold them last year in different sizes but don't do them any more. Any other ideas where I could get one (and how much I should pay for it - not too much!) ?

Some people have suggested just putting an alternative covers over it, e.g. plywood or plastic. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Measure the dimensions of the top and if you are in Dublin , Dublin Providers in Kilmainham should have it.
    Smallmans in Ranelagh would get it for you also.

While you're up there have a look in the tank, if it's dirty drain it down and clean it out. This is theoretically an annual thing but as i haven't done mine i'll shut up now...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I never cease to be amazed by the number of relatively new tanks that I see without covers; in my opinion they shouldn't be selling tanks without a cover! In the past I've just used WBP ply or rigid insulation to cover tanks as it's not always possible to get a new lid to fit an older tank. As joeclif suggests I'd drain it down and clean out. I've also refilled tanks and dropped in a couple of Milton tablets in the past to sterilise the system, flushing out after an hours or so. With the possibility of insects, rodents and birds getting into your roofspace it's a really bad idea to have uncovered tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi All and OP and builders shisters!. I worked for a plumbers provider for years to sites I sold about 10 tanks and 2 lids. They put them in for the inspectors then stop. They are seriously corrupt. But there is a reason(not an acceptable on) for this. a tank cost a builder 60 euro a lid costs a builder 45 euro. All the profit was in the lid for the providers cause they knew long term the builder had to provide it.
    joeclif wrote: »
    Measure the dimensions of the top and if you are in Dublin , Dublin Providers in Kilmainham should have it.
    Smallmans in Ranelagh would get it for you also.

While you're up there have a look in the tank, if it's dirty drain it down and clean it out. This is theoretically an annual thing but as i haven't done mine i'll shut up now...:o

Joe cliff is right. Smallmans is a great place, just measure the length and breth of the opening. With greatest respect be carefull cleaning to plug all the holes. you can send dirt down to the electric shower or plumbed shower which fecks it up.
    I never cease to be amazed by the number of relatively new tanks that I see without covers; in my opinion they shouldn't be selling tanks without a cover! In the past I've just used WBP ply or rigid insulation to cover tanks as it's not always possible to get a new lid to fit an older tank. As joeclif suggests I'd drain it down and clean out. I've also refilled tanks and dropped in a couple of Milton tablets in the past to sterilise the system, flushing out after an hours or so. With the possibility of insects, rodents and birds getting into your roofspace it's a really bad idea to have uncovered tanks.

tbh I think jack is right just use a sheet of ply, its cheaper. What i done was a sheet of ply and cling filmed it to the tank to seal it. I also fitted a silencer in the form of a length of food grade cling film to silence the noise of the ballcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭donaghs

Thanks for responses. Plumber supplies in Harmonstown are selling lids for €45. Seems a bit much for a bit of plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If you have the time or inclination seal the back of your ply with a couple of coats of oil paint, or cover with heavy gauge dpm, turning over the edge and staple onto reverse face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Just as an aside to what joey mentioned about noisy ballcocks.
    There is a silent replacement available if noise is an issue with yours.

And yes the lid being extra is a load of b****x and a total ripoff:mad:

While you are up ther check that there is an overflow and then check that it is actually plumbed to the outside at a gradient.

I used to have some photos of crap like this but they went with my old harddrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

killarney plastics make them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

theboss80 wrote: »
    killarney plastics make them

Along with 20 other countries! :D

Only kidding you will get one in any builders merchant!

Advertisement