Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first tattoo

Options
  • 27-05-2009 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hi there, im currently wanting to get my first tattoo and like others was wondering about an irish translation for a phrase im thinking about...
    the phrase is;
    'there is no fate but what we make, the future is unwritten'
    any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I used to speak irish fluently, not anymore through lack of practice but i can tell ya that english doesn't translate to well into irish. you are probably better off looking for some old irish sayings.

my irish isn't up to scratch and don't wanna attempt translating it for fear of being wrong.

there is an irish forum - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=31

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

That's easy, it's "Drug'ail Saor"

:D

*Disclaimer: The above may not be true*

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think youve been watching terminator too much :pac:

Afraid my irish is really rusty though :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Sofaspud wrote: »
    That's easy, it's "Drug'ail Saor"

*Disclaimer: The above may not be true*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Will wrote: »
    i can tell ya that english doesn't translate to well into irish. you are probably better off looking for some old irish sayings.[/url]

+1 for this. Also it's a great phrase. Very cryptic.

Best of luck with your first and a good gauge (when you find the translation) of what script style you want it in and placement on your body. I'd say write it in pen (or something kinda less permanent!) on you and see how you like it as it'll be there forever. (But you knew that......ugh...nevermind! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

ye i saw the terminator last week too but maybe you should hold off and think about this ........on another note can someone translate "come with me if you want to live" hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭PJW

Beidh mé ar ais....sorry, thats not it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Ok so i've booked myself in for my first tattoo for tuesday, i'm already getting nervous about it. does anyone have any advice for me to help settle the nerves before then?

I'm getting it on my foot, from the ankle down across the foot, everyone's telling me it's going to be extremely painful, hence why i'm so nervous.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah it'll be painful, but it's bearable. Just try to distract yourself, chat or read or listen to an mp3 player or something. And just think of the awesome portable artwork that you will have to show for it afterwards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

Yeah think i'll bring my ipod alright. Well if i do go through with it i'll put up a photo of it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Excellent, please do! :)

Advertisement