Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Seaweed vs Windguru

Options
  • 27-05-2009 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

What does everyone think?? In a fight to the death who'd win...

no but seriously... What does everyone think of the accuracy of the forecasts??

1.9W swell verses a 2.5W swell when I checked this morning is a pretty big difference.. How is this possible, surely they are measured using the same buoys off the coast? Different Algo's perhaps??

I think MSW has kinda gone off the boil for the midwest in the last few months. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a fantastic site, but definitely some differences in the predicitons for this weekend between both of em...

what ye reckon??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Magic Pissweed is a website for posting what is occasionally decent but generally ****e pictures taken by **** that love to squabble like ten year olds over who can can get the most air, biggest spray blaa blaa.....

It should be used only as a very very general guide. Lately I only use it to check the tides, nowt else.

Windguru is much more reliable but best to simply use the weather reports & Meteirean.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

Don't know about that...

I think the Met Eireann sea area forecasts are pretty vague at best now tbh. Not unless they've changed their site or method of delivering the info, but I would have rated MSW better than the MET. They can be seriously off the mark...

Didn't think the rants of boogers vs boards had an influence on their forecasting abilities....

I find that Magic Pissweed tends to be overly optimistic compared to Windguru. Just my experience but have waited for 4 Star Fridays only to receive a flatulent Friday instead all too often.

Regarding the Met Eireann website I use the satilite images, weather systems pics & bouy reports.
    Generally there is enough info to figure things out.
    Besides if its good enough for our long suffering fishing fleet its good enough for me.

Its important to have an understanding of how the weather systems work, that and an aquired knowledge of the areas/breaks in which you intend looking for workable surf.
    Surfguides & websites have removed this necessity for the majority of people which is, even if they don't realise it, is to their detrement.

Would have only relied on sea area forecasts from the MET in the.

I don't see how a reliance on surf sites is to the detriment to the user. How can you back up that statement. Whether you use charts or not, you still need to know what makes a location work. MSW may have a 5 star rating one day but the conditions could be cat. You don't have to go to the break to know that.

There is no difference IMO between charts/buoy data & Surf forecast sites. They are basically condensing the same info into a user friendly format...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Regarding the Met Eireann website I use the satilite images, weather systems pics & bouy reports.
    Generally there is enough info to figure things out.
    Besides if its good enough for our long suffering fishing fleet its good enough for me.

I know several full time fishermen that are using windguru as an addition to their knowledge base.

Buoy reports are great for real-time info, not from Met Eireann but the Marine Institute that provide them (www.marine.ie).

Sat images and pressure gradient forecasts are great and are certainly good enough to figure things. Thanks to Met Eireann and the BBC for that.

However, back in the day when these were all we had there certainly was a lot more guess work going on as to when and where there'd be surf, particularly if you'd be driving for it. Nothing like driving to Sligo or Kerry to be faced with a flat ocean.

I'm all for the web surf forecasting sites, but use them in combination with Met Eireann and the buoy reports and I always appreciate that conditions are subject to change. My preference would be windguru as there are less bells and sh*te then magic seaweed, plus somedays I am just amazed as to how accurate to the hour its predictions are. We're certainly getting skanked less as a result.

You can't fault magicseaweed as a go-to site for forecasts, photos, shopping, etc. I'm sure its employing plenty of people as a result but its rating system is tragic. Still L-plate surfers reading these and heading to the coast as a result, well, its only one step above putting the boards on the roof and driving west every weekend without having a bull's notion what the surf is like.

It would be great though if these L-platers could be taught to appreciate the weather forecast for what it used to be, a window to waves for the next few days, instead of seeing how many gold stars exist for a given day. Hard to argue with progress though and I'd rather have the surf forecasting sites then not.

Hmmm, must check rating for tomorrow!

• Advertisement

I don't see how a reliance on surf sites is to the detriment to the user. How can you back up that statement.

In the same way that a reliance upon other modern convieniences can be to the detriment of the user. I should possibly have said that a total or large reliance upon such sites are to the detrimental.
    Whether you use charts or not, you still need to know what makes a location work.

I think you've just partially justified that statement for me Loctite. Going by your reasoning please explain how a Bic wielding weekend warrior decides where to go on a Thursday night during a powercut if Magic Pissweed is all that is needed.
    Is there something wrong with actually learning how to predict or read the conditions the old fashioned way... or just too difficult??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'd learn the old fashioned way if I knew how. Any sites where I could learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I think magic seaweed is ok in Ireland as long as you don't look at the star rating.
    They are the only site I have found that does an isobar chart animation which at least predicts when the storms are going to hit the coastline.
    I learned the hard way about using it abroad. Every country I have been to it predicts the waves will be 2ft higher than they really are which wasted a lot of petrol and got a lot of hopes up.

Anyone know what happened to the M1 bouy by the way? That is cutting the accuracy of all the websites.

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'd learn the old fashioned way if I knew how. Any sites where I could learn?

Funnily enough magic seaweed :).

Watch the pressure chart animations and compare them to the wind and wave animations. Should give you a rough idea. You have to know the spots too though. Only 1 way to figure that one out......

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Shane_C wrote: »
    Anyone know what happened to the M1 bouy by the way? That is cutting the accuracy of all the websites.

Marine website says "The operational M1 site has been relocated to M6, however a buoy will be stationed at M1 again when resources allow"

• Advertisement

spider77 wrote: »
    Marine website says "The operational M1 site has been relocated to M6, however a buoy will be stationed at M1 again when resources allow"

So no time soon then :(
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Shane_C wrote: »
    Funnily enough magic seaweed :).

Watch the pressure chart animations and compare them to the wind and wave animations. Should give you a rough idea. You have to know the spots too though. Only 1 way to figure that one out......

cheers...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Garry17

I wouldn't rely on any one site especially at this time of year. Use a combination of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Garry17 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rely on any one site especially at this time of year. Use a combination of them all.
    +1

i go between the two and i know what x meter swell and y wind direction on the websites will do for my local breaks but for places i am not too experienced with, its a bit of a lottery at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Garry17

lg123 wrote: »
    +1

i go between the two and i know what x meter swell and y wind direction on the websites will do for my local breaks but for places i am not too experienced with, its a bit of a lottery at times.

Try Wetsand, FNMOC and anything else that you can find. Also use any webcams in the general area that you are thinking about heading to. They'll give you a rough idea if the swell is smaller than expected. You could also ring surfshops in the area, they'll also give you a good idea of what a swell is doing

You could also ring surfshops in the area, they'll also give you a good idea of what a swell is doing

Some surf shops can be a little optimistic in regards to this. Equally I find that some shops in the busier spots tend to tailor their reviews to suit a novice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Go on then cecil get your sextant out and tell us where yis are the forecast for the weekend and who knows I may make it out on the pink lady.

My prediction for the weekend is that it's as windy as **** and a waste of decent swell.
    Bray Head is the hot spot this weekend, there it's gonna be 6ft, peeling and clean as a shaven minge!!!

In the same way that a reliance upon other modern convieniences can be to the detriment of the user. I should possibly have said that a total or large reliance upon such sites are to the detrimental.

I think you've just partially justified that statement for me Loctite. Going by your reasoning please explain how a Bic wielding weekend warrior decides where to go on a Thursday night during a powercut if Magic Pissweed is all that is needed.
    Is there something wrong with actually learning how to predict or read the conditions the old fashioned way... or just too difficult??

This argument defies logic? for a start, it is not just the "bic wielders" as you put it, that use MSW or WG. Secondly, if there were a power cut, bic wielder and seasoned surfers alike would not be able to forecast or predict as where would they get an info. Don't say a newspaper.

No matter what you are using MSW, WG you still need to know what works where. I've seen the 5 stars knowing that it is utter rubbish of a prediction, only cause I know what conditions a break will take. Regardless of charts, marine data or weather forecast summary sites like MSW are used. You still need local knowledge.

This thread was started to discuss those sites not charts. I think your whole basis of argument is basically from the stance of a ludite.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cecil Mor viewpost.gif

This argument defies logic? for a start, it is not just the "bic wielders" as you put it, that use MSW or WG. Secondly, if there were a power cut, bic wielder and seasoned surfers alike would not be able to forecast or predict as where would they get an info. Don't say a newspaper.

Radio!
    No matter what you are using MSW, WG you still need to know what works where. I've seen the 5 stars knowing that it is utter rubbish of a prediction, only cause I know what conditions a break will take. Regardless of charts, marine data or weather forecast summary sites like MSW are used. You still need local knowledge.

Who's arguing with ya?
    This thread was started to discuss those sites not charts. I think your whole basis of argument is basically from the stance of a ludite.

Is this not what was happening, just look above.
    Why, 'cause I disagree with you... Cop yerself on and go start yer board Loctite.

• Advertisement

Cecil... what are you on about??

A power cut... so we would use a radio... oh let me guess battery powered just like my PDA that will allow me to look online eh??

Cecil... what are you on about??

A power cut... so we would use a radio... oh let me guess battery powered just like my PDA that will allow me to look online eh??

No, car powered Loctite. I use a powercut analogy to query the options available to many weekend warriors once deprived of their magicpissweeds & similar.

How can having the ability to make a reasonably successful weather judgment, using minimal information, be something to bemoan?
    I don't get where you're coming from, going by your logic I'm guessing that you'll be picketing outside the nearest cabinet-makers simply because IKEA's opening a Dublin store...

No, car powered Loctite. I use a powercut analogy to query the options available to many weekend warriors once deprived of their magicpissweeds & similar.

How can having the ability to make a reasonably successful weather judgment, using minimal information, be something to bemoan?
    I don't get where you're coming from, going by your logic I'm guessing that you'll be picketing outside the nearest cabinet-makers simply because IKEA's opening a Dublin store...

Wtf?? and you vice versa cecil?
    I haven't said that charts are not a valid source of information, it is what all the MSW and WG sites information is based on... it is you that does protest outside ikea on behalf of the cabinetmakers....

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

In my experience, which has mostly been for wind forecasting for windsurfing and paragliding, Windguru is not that accurate. I'm only using the free version which is a delayed forecast anyway. The site is not aimed at surfers either. I find it handy for getting an idea of the long range picture for some advanced planning.
    Met.ie and the atlantic buoy date are the best for short range predictions in my view.

Magicseaweed is nice with a cup of tea in the morning to look at pictures and vids.

I also rely on this site http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/sail.htm which I find to be much more accurate for wind forecasting.

There is also this site. http://www.theyr.com/free/free_weather_data.asp
    The Pro service is supposed to be very good.

There is lots more stuff here on the Irish Hang gliding and paragliding weather page: http://www.ihpa.ie/index.php/weather-all-in-one

I find that I end up checking about 10 different sites, and then make up my mind where to go. Usually works out OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

No single resource is going to give you a very accurate picture of what is going to happen, and even years of experience with multiple resources are not going to tell you exactly what will happen.

One of the biggest factors is time. If you are checking a week in advance you have virtually no hope of figuring out what is going to happen, if you are checking 2 hours in advance you will be able to form a very good idea of the conditions.

Personally I've found Windguru to be probably the best resource, but then I'm mostly a windsurfer and that's who the site is primarily aimed towards. As someone said, the site can be amazingly accurate from hour to hour. Not a big fan of MSW although the isobar charts are unique and sometimes handy. Don't be too hasty to knock the Met Eireann forecasts, they're not presented to be helpful to surfers but people rely on them for their lives and livelihoods so they can be a great resource if interpreted properly.

The best thing you can do is to check a number of resources for predicted conditions for your favourite spot, then go there and see how it actually is on the day compared to the forecast. If you repeat this often enough you will get a pretty good picture of what resources work and what don't. It can never boil down to gold star ratings unfortunately (although Windguru stars can be more helpful than MSW stars).

I really don't get what your problem is Loctite, but good luck working through your issues.

cornbb & poster king make good points.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I normally just stick board in van, drive to beach, stand on beach, look at waves and normally decide to go in no matter.

Crazy or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

So what have you been surfing for the past couple of weeks?? :pac:

I tend to use magicseaweed to tell me if theres something there soon and the tides, then use windguru to confirm.
    Best indicator of course are the eyeball reports!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

kodute wrote: »

I like to float around :pac:

• Advertisement

kodute wrote: »

I tend to use magicseaweed to tell me if theres something there soon and the tides, then use windguru to confirm.
    Best indicator of course are the eyeball reports!

No surf the past couple of weeks :(

Damm good weather!

Advertisement