Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Appeal To All Radio Stations

• 27-05-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

PLEASE do not treat "Britain's Got Talent" and the upcoming "Big Bother" as newsworthy items for inclusion in news bulletins or even "entertainment news".

Big Bother will be on 24hrs a day for those who are more interested in watching grainy cameras showing people sleep than sleeping themselves, or more interested in watching people snog or attempt to have sex than having it themselves.

So if they're watching it, then there's no reason to subject the rest of us to it.

It's bad enough losing 3 or 4 normally half-decent channels for the duration, without losing listenable radio too.

So PLEASE.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They are dropping the 24 hour live feed this year (costs too much).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Mr E wrote: »

Thanks Mr E.....best news I've heard today. :)

Although considering the bull**** promos that have made E4 unwatchable all week (Jade = a celebrity = comparable to royalty) and the "celeb" quiz for their 10th anniversary, they'll probably still fill the schedule with related rubbish. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Mr E wrote: »
    Thank christ for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Digital Spy will be disappointed by this news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Omg shut the **** up and stop spamming the thread!

• Advertisement

Nobody 'let' you do this. You've just completely hijacked and ruined someone else's thread. You've been reported to a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Im sorry but i need 50 posts to join the soccer fourm.Please just a few more.

Sorry to disappoint you but the application process for soccer forum involves checking for spam posting....and emm.....I think you're going to fail. Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60463124#post60463124

user banned forever. Thanks for the RPs everyone.

Now anyways back on topic. I'm glad they're not doing 24/7 big brother coverage today. I can't stand flipping through the stations and seeing people asleep in the morning.

Actually I remember a few years ago finding my mother conked out in front of the TV one morning with the housemates asleep on TV. 'Ohh I was just watching to see if one of them woke up...'

Sad... really really sad...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    PLEASE do not treat "Britain's Got Talent" and the upcoming "Big Bother" as newsworthy items for inclusion in news bulletins or even "entertainment news".

Big Bother will be on 24hrs a day for those who are more interested in watching grainy cameras showing people sleep than sleeping themselves, or more interested in watching people snog or attempt to have sex than having it themselves.

So if they're watching it, then there's no reason to subject the rest of us to it.

It's bad enough losing 3 or 4 normally half-decent channels for the duration, without losing listenable radio too.

So PLEASE.....

Have you said your thoughts to your PD? But Love it or hate it, reality tv is a ratings winner and all media outlets know this.

The free will in you has put one choice in yout hands, change the channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blackskinny

You've just completely hijacked and ruined someone else's thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

cool when does it start see if i can file some divorce papers to the mrs before then hahahahahehehehehehehehohohoho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    PLEASE do not treat "Britain's Got Talent" and the upcoming "Big Bother" as newsworthy items for inclusion in news bulletins or even "entertainment news"..
    20m watch the BGT final as compared with maybe a few thousand for a sports match but somehow sport is "news" but the other isn't. I think this is a typical male of a certain age complaint about radio stations daring to cover something that they personally aren't interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

You can wish and appeal but it's not going to happen. For one reason, the silly season is upon us and radio stations will be desperate to fill time. For another this type of "news" reporting seems to be more and more prevalent.

The worst station is likely to be Radio 5 Live so avoid that like the plague

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

GSF wrote: »
    20m watch the BGT final as compared with maybe a few thousand for a sports match
    20 million Irish people?? The figures have gone askew somewhere, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭nevey

I definitely concur with the OP but then again the point about sports coverage is a good one. I personally would be completely happy if BGT/BB/celeb news and sports news all were left out of "the news" but it's probably just snobbery on my part.
    The one thing that I really hate is when they read out the Lotto numbers as if that was "news". I've got used to it now, but still it seems wrong to have a serious broadcaster listing out the numbers that happened to come out of a drum of ping-pong balls.
    I suppose the bottom line is that the news reflects things people are interested in like BGT, soccer, lotto and not just things that some people think other people should be interested in like current affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭fatgav

what's with all the snobbery towards entertainment, sport and 'light' news?

the news does not have to be serious all the time, certainly not on certain stations. You say that Big Brother isn't news, but what about the Jade/Shilpa racism scandal? BGT isn't newsworthy but we had a phenomenom in the form of Susan Boyle and now we have her unfortunate breakdown?

I'm not a fan of either show but I am a working journalist. I understand that the definition of what exactly the 'news' is depends on who's providing it. Is a BGT semi-final news on, say Radio 1? Probably not. But is it news on a commercial station where a large chunk of listeners watch the show? Probably. If BGT/Big Bro/sport aren't for you, don't tune in/read the relevant publication but don't gripe about something that's aimed at a large chunk of society, albeit one that you yourself are not apart of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

fatgav wrote: »

the news does not have to be serious all the time, certainly not on certain stations. You say that Big Brother isn't news, but what about the Jade/Shilpa racism scandal? BGT isn't newsworthy but we had a phenomenom in the form of Susan Boyle and now we have her unfortunate breakdown?

No-one's saying the news has to be serious all the time; the very existence of the "...and finally" piece on nearly every TV news broadcast is testament to that. We all need some light heartedness, to see the funny or cute side of things, in an overly tragic and violent world.

Jade/Shilpa wasn't news....but the media made it into news. Similarly with Susan Boyle, although that was as much the net as the media themselves, in the initial stages, but then the media took it to their own nasty end.

What the OP and those like him are complaining about, and it is a legitimate complaint IMO, is the inclusion of stories sourced from or directly relating to reality TV shows.
    I turned on the news the other evening and the 3rd headline was about Boyle and theBGT final...this was one of the main news bulletins on RTÉ1. I'm sorry but the story is irrelevant to both my life and the lives of countless others (so are a lot of news stories granted).
    If you're a fan of the show in question then in all likelihood, you already know the full details of what has transpired, and it won't be "news" to you...if you're not a fan of the show in question then you are being subjected to hearing about it, sometimes at length, when all you really want to know is what is happening in the world (that actually matters).
    Common replies like "change the channel" and the like don't really cut it here...we already changed the channel several times to avoid the offending show, but yet come 9 o'clock or whatever, we still get to hear the juicy bits? F*ck that.

Entertainment news, like sport, has it's own place...or should have...that it gets shoehorned into the "normal" news headlines, purely on the basis of populism is a slur on the news media IMO...

Advertisement