Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spread?

• 27-05-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Just wondering from a nutritional perspective what is the best thing to have on your toast?

I've been taking Flora for years but Im trying to cut overly processed food out of my diet and Im thinking would I be better with plain unsalted butter or olive oil (or some other oil) instead?

As I said in another thread here Im not concerned with losing weight just eating healthier.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

mmm Peanut butter... preferably with chunks... but not the extremly chunky peanut butter --- too much chunk for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, I use natural unsalted peanut butter, meridian brand, ~€6.70 for 1kg in holland & barret. Or coconut oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I'd go for good butter. The amount of salt in butter is neglible compared to in the bread. Olive oil is too likely to soak through, you'd end up with a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

EileenG wrote: »
    I'd go for good butter. The amount of salt in butter is neglible compared to in the bread. Olive oil is too likely to soak through, you'd end up with a mess.

I should've said Id be using on toast not bread.

I only have it in the morning on my toast.

Not crazy on peanut butter on toast:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

The Best Spread

THE HEALTHY OPTION

I never use butter as it is completely fat. I make my own home-made houmous. As it is made from chickpeas, it is practically all protein. It can be used on sandwiches and crakers etc. I vary the shop recipe for example, I put mixed seeds, sunflower and pumpkin mix into the blender too. lemon juice and garlic. Garlic naturally lowers cholesterol and protects you from infection. it's a great spread. make alot of it, put it into tubs and freeze it. It takes two mins to make.
    Enjoy, Stiffkitten xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Plain old olive oils the best. I use it as it is but my mum melts butter n olive oil fifty fifty n keeps it in the fridge. She also adds garlic n fresh herbs.
    Hummous is great but can get boring so to add interest to my lunch i make different versions.
    Try the same recipes with red lentils and mash steamed carrots, butternut squash, pumkin or sweet potatos (or a combination of them) into it.
    I also vary using tahini with cashew nut butter (great with carrots), hazel nut butter, peanut butter etc...
    I'd also add fresh ginger, fresh herbs esp mint, basil, parsely, chive to them.
    Just mess around yourself if your into cooking and see what combos you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Get a yoghurt based cream 'cheese' low calorie, no fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Plain old olive oils the best. I use it as it is but my mum melts butter n olive oil fifty fifty n keeps it in the fridge. She also adds garlic n fresh herbs.
    Thats a great idea, never heard of it before.
    I also vary using tahini with cashew nut butter (great with carrots), hazel nut butter, peanut butter etc.
    Those nut butters often cost a lot more than the nuts themselves. You can just liquidise or mash up nuts to make your own, and add a little oil if needed. Holland & Barret were doing raw unsalted cashews €4 for 500g last time I went in, I am planning on making cashew butter with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Ive been using hummous and I quite like it.

I was going to try some Tahini. Is that generally good? I hear its very high in calories?

Advertisement