Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Raw Fish for Sushi

Options
  • 27-05-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

I want to start making sushi at home, where's the best place to get raw salmon & tuna and will I still need to freeze it at home for 72 hours to be safe or will some of the fish shops have already done this??

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The best (and maybe only) thing to do is go to your local fishmongers and ask them if they can provide sushi-grade fish. My local one will tell e if the fish I want has been caught that morning or if it's more than 24 hours old in which case they won't sell it to me for sushi.

I never freeze the fish first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I thought parasite problems had nothing to do with freshness and could only be fixed with freezing but to be honest couldn't really find any great details on that side of things!

As long as it's ultra-fresh I shouldn't have to about anything then? The other question I have is how long do I have to eat it and if I wanted to could I Freeze a few chunks to defrost for later consumption?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If making sushi freeze it for 24 hours and then defront to kill and lice that may be repsent, this is also done when making smoaked salmon, its a requirement by law for companies and restaurants doing either in house and I'd highly recomend it!

Also, freshness is almost entirely about the taste as the older the fish the "fishier" it will taste, which, er, bad, if ya get me.

like, 3 day old fish is fine to grill/fry/bake as long as it has been kept properly but I'd never in a million years eat it raw, youldnt make you sick would just taste rank.

Gambler wrote: »
    I thought parasite problems had nothing to do with freshness and could only be fixed with freezing but to be honest couldn't really find any great details on that side of things!

As long as it's ultra-fresh I shouldn't have to about anything then? The other question I have is how long do I have to eat it and if I wanted to could I Freeze a few chunks to defrost for later consumption?

Freeze the fresh fish and make defrost and make the shushi as you need it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Seaneh wrote: »
    its a requirement by law for companies and restaurants doing either in house and I'd highly recomend it!

I'm not trying to nitpick your suggestion but this is a EU/USA requirement. In Japan sushi must never, ever be frozen.
    Cultures have different rules/laws as regards food standards (in the USA you must store eggs in the fridge, in France you should never do so :) )

• Advertisement

Well, I'm a Chef in an EU state so when I say it's law I ment, in the country I live in, it's law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Freezing the fish for about 1/2 hour also makes it easier to slice thinly, especially for nigiri or sashimi. Wright's in Howth will sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Good Fish Processing outlet shop in Carragaline. Best and cheapest fish around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Kish in Smithfield

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i usually go to howth in nicky's plaice and as ponster said tell them i'm going to be eating it raw. they'll show me what's caught that day and i'll eat it that evening. i would never freeze it first personally.

• Advertisement

Made sushi yesterday with plaice that had been in the freezer for maybe 6 or 7 weeks.
    It was fantastic but it was super fresh going into the freezer.
    I wouldn't make a point of freezing fish for sushi but if you have good fresh frozen fish - it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

While we're talking about fresh fish, I'd like to make some king prawn tempura at home, but whenever I buy prawns, they are tough. Where can I buy really fresh, tender prawns? I would be a bit squeamish about cleaning them out myself so a fishmonger where they will do that bit for you would be great. I live in Maynooth and our fishmonger shut down to make space for yet another bookies. Would Superquinn in Lucan be any good?

Thanks for all the info! Think I'm going to be cautious and freeze it first just in case.

Don't live anywhere near a good fishmongers but what I might do is go buy a few cuts that are sushi grade then cut them into portion sizes and freeze them all. Then just take a portion out of the freezer in the morning and have some sushi for dinner! :)

While we're talking about fresh fish, I'd like to make some king prawn tempura at home, but whenever I buy prawns, they are tough. Where can I buy really fresh, tender prawns? I would be a bit squeamish about cleaning them out myself so a fishmonger where they will do that bit for you would be great. I live in Maynooth and our fishmonger shut down to make space for yet another bookies. Would Superquinn in Lucan be any good?

That reminds me, I wanted to try my hand at prawn nigiri too, I assume the prawns are actually cooked, what's the best way to do that?

That reminds me, I wanted to try my hand at prawn nigiri too, I assume the prawns are actually cooked, what's the best way to do that?

I'd guess steaming them would be best but Ive never done sushi with shellfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 catbar

Hey All,

I want to start making sushi at home, where's the best place to get raw salmon & tuna and will I still need to freeze it at home for 72 hours to be safe or will some of the fish shops have already done this??

where are you based????????:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rozzie!

i have made sushi many times both when i lived in japan and also in dublin. in japan, its very easy to find fish for sushi as the local fish markets are very fresh and abundant.

in dublin, i would recommend wrights of howth as a supply for fish, kish fish in smithfield is also good. i know for a fact that many sushi restaurants in dublin use wrights of howth as the supplier for their fish, especially their fresh salmon!

make sure its fresh, cleanly handled and cared for. and please people... dont freeze the fish first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Rozzie! wrote: »
    i have made sushi many times both when i lived in japan and also in dublin. in japan, its very easy to find fish for sushi as the local fish markets are very fresh and abundant.

in dublin, i would recommend wrights of howth as a supply for fish, kish fish in smithfield is also good. i know for a fact that many sushi restaurants in dublin use wrights of howth as the supplier for their fish, especially their fresh salmon!

make sure its fresh, cleanly handled and cared for. and please people... dont freeze the fish first!

i'd like to think he's found a source for his fish, since he asked the question 2 YEARS AGO!!!:D

I have indeed, Kish Fish is where I get my fish for Sushi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

I have indeed, Kish Fish is where I get my fish for Sushi :)

am planning to check this place out during the week. until now have only bought sushi or made california rolls or prawn tempura rolls when making at home, but going to try make some proper raw fish rolls at home this week.

did you ask them about sushi grade fish etc. or just pick it out yourself? going to pick up some tuna to start hopefully, what fish do you usually go for?

• Advertisement

I always phone first to check when they are getting a deliver in and ask specifically for sushi grade. I mostly go for Salmon and tuna as it's easy enough to convince others to try them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 IndigoBlue

Not to be a scaremonger (or indeed a fishmonger!) but there are instances of people being infected with anisakis from raw or undercooked fish, especially in Scandanavia, Japan etc but anywhere that the consumption is common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakiasis
    I saw an episode of 'Monsters inside me' which scared the bejaysus out of me, and that involved a sushi bar in California. So I would think the correct prior preparation is crucial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rozzie!

the salmon in ireland is fantastic, the raw stuff from kish or wrights of howth... ya cant beat it anywhere... but the irish tuna is not as good. our tuna is usually frozen first as it has to cover large distances to get here. its still worth getting for sure.

try seam bream or sea bass here. it must be VERY fresh as fish like it can go off quite quickly, but its delicious in ireland and a japanese fav.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

regarding asking for sushi grade tuna in Kish in smithfield, I have asked for it numerous times, but get greeted with a 'wha?'. Normally followed by 'as sure all our fish is dead fresh' which is normally followed by them making the customer look like a fool. I once asked them to cut a piece of tuna and they came back to me with an utterly misshapen hunk of fish for €14.

I would pay a premium for sushi grade tuna from the loin, but they just dont seem to have any interest.

I havent gone back since my last debacle. I asked to smell the salmon, again for sashimi and they refused. They said if I touched the fish I had to buy it......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Rozzie! wrote: »
    the salmon in ireland is fantastic, the raw stuff from kish or wrights of howth... ya cant beat it anywhere... but the irish tuna is not as good. our tuna is usually frozen first as it has to cover large distances to get here. its still worth getting for sure.

try seam bream or sea bass here. it must be VERY fresh as fish like it can go off quite quickly, but its delicious in ireland and a japanese fav.
    Real Irish Tuna is fantastic! We catch Albacore and very occasionally bluefin Tuna here usually later in the Year Sept or so keep and eye out and ask your fishmonger when it will be in

Both Sea Bass and Sea Bream is imported from Farms in Greece, Turkey and the Med/Adriatic region.
    You can't sell wild Bass legally and Gilthead isn't caught here commercially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Any Irish Tuna around yet? Let me know where I can get some

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

mc allisters fishmongers main street lucan are very good. their fresh prawn is good enuf :)

Been around for about 5 weeks now :)

Any good fish monger will have some at this stage, I've even got otoro a few time sin Galway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Better be quick Tuna season is nearly over.

• Advertisement

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Better be quick Tuna season is nearly over.

tis a horribly short season :(

Oscars in Galway have had amazing supply of Otoro this year and at a really good price.

Advertisement