Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Wealthy Clubs Spend Big

• 27-05-2009 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

We are not talking about the top four but the clubs in England with the wealthiest owners. Man City, Chelsea and QPR.

I think it is a given that both City and Chelsea will be spending this summer but will QPR spend big in an effort to get into EPL?

Who will they attract without a manager, Gareth Ainsworth is still caretaker AFAIK.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭The Hustler

Oh aye, our wealthy owner Ken Bates will splash the cash alrite.

We're already looking at Rotherhams Reuben Reid for 100k and Gillinghams Simeon Jackson for 75k.

Let the good times begin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I'd imagine that City will try to bring in a big name or two but they will be thwarted all the way by agents demanding over inflated fees.
    City fan myself so not looking forward to all the speculation from here till August, wreck your head, especially when we are linked to everyone and anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Kaka to QPR!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd say QPR will have a manager within the next two weeks. They don't have to spend hugely. Just hoover up the best Championship players around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I get the feeling City may be unwilling to spend big while Hughes is in charge, I sense they don't fully trust him with cash. I think they will be more inclined to give him a relative small kitty (considering their wealth) and give him til January to prove he's the man to take them places. Having said that, they'll probably try to make a big name signing for the sake of it.

Chelsea, will have to give the new manager a fair bit to spend methinks, but not as much as they gave Mourinho as they still have cash problems i think with the Hit ambramovich took from the financial crises. Maybe one big signing paid for, but the rest funded by sales.

QPR, no idea.

the others with wealthy owners are:

Portsmouth, too early to tell what the intentions are for the club really. I'd expect a bit of an injection, but it's hard to say.

Sunderland will spend a fair bit as usual, possibly not as much as before though as i think their new owner is a bit more prudent with the cash than the Irish property moguls would have been :)

Villa, same as before methinks, maybe a bit less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The others with wealthy owners are:

Villa, same as before methinks, maybe a bit less.

well Lerner who rarely speaks did an intrview on this the other day
    Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner has pledged to back manager Martin O'Neill in the transfer market again this summer.

Lerner believes the credit crunch will not have a significant impact on the funds that will be made available.

But the American multi-millionaire is also eager to ensure Villa do not become embroiled in the financial difficulties which have hit other clubs in the past through reckless over-spending.

O'Neill spent around £50million on new players last summer and has made it clear the size of his squad needs to be significantly increased if Villa are to challenge for a Champions League spot.

Lerner said: "Will there be funds for players this summer? Yes. Like any club we are conscious of having money available for the summer.

"We are also conscious of managing the players leaving and trying to generate funds from that. It is a balancing act but, yes, there will be funds.

"Will the credit crunch impact on funds available this summer? I don't really view the credit crunch as a big issue in terms of the funding for the summer.

"But, if anything, what has gone on in the economy makes you very conscious of building a sustainable business because, in the end, that is what you are responsible for doing.

"To the extent that you are deficit spending, maybe you should think very hard about how you are ultimately going to pay it off and the consequences of not being able to pay it off.

"We know clubs that got into trouble before and those disappointments far exceed not having the best players and not winning what one sets out to win. They are long term problems that don't go away.

"That is more in my mind where things like the credit crunch impact on your thinking, impact on the psychology of spending and they should in my opinion."

Lerner added: "Will £50 million be available again this summer? I don't know sitting here now. If I was to come out and say 'yes' I would put the club at some disadvantage in terms of pricing.

"Suddenly players' costs go would up if you start saying what you are planning to spend.

"Do we need quite a few more players? I think we have discussed it. I think we have got players who are very good, and been recognised as very good, and a certain amount of continuity is starting to set in which is a part of the formula for success,

"I don't think 'quite a few' is necessary the right formula because 'quite a few' could imply you are constantly over-hauling and, when you do that, you pay the price of having guys who aren't used to playing with each other.

"Do Villa need to increase depth of squad? I think that is a matter for Martin. If he has said that, then I would accept that. Absolutely."

Lerner is content with the progress Villa have made under O'Neill and is confident he will remain long term even if the prized jobs in football become available.

He said: "We are doing okay. There are any number of initiatives from the beginning, some of which have been met, some of which have been put off and some of which went away and new ones have appeared.

"In my mind we are doing well on certain areas of the plans like upgrading infrastructure, finishing building at the training ground, upgrading some of the hospitality, bringing in new players.

"You want to do more as you get into it and those start to become the new plans.

"But if someone said when I arrived that we would have two successive top six finishes and done the work we have behind the scenes, I would have been delighted."

Lerner added: "Am I confident of keeping Martin O'Neill? I am long term even if a big job came up.

"I think Martin has bought into the club. I think he has emotionally invested. He has bought into me and my ambitions to some extent."

anyone know exactley how rich QPR are? they dont seem to be going for the instant success through throwing their money around so far anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well Lerner who rarely speaks did an intrview on this the other day

anyone know exactley how rich QPR are? they dont seem to be going for the instant success through throwing their money around so far anyway

it's Briatore isn't it who's the main there? he wouldn't be as wealthy as people suggest, Formula1 teams are pretty damn expensive to run and require massive amounts of continual investment. his wealth would be mainly on paper methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

People go on about QPR but just because their backers are rich doesn't mean all their money is available for their side project football team.

That interview with Lerner says very little but I think the money is available for signings if I was to have a positive outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

it's Briatore isn't it who's the main there? he wouldn't be as wealthy as people suggest, Formula1 teams are pretty damn expensive to run and require massive amounts of continual investment. his wealth would be mainly on paper methinks.

Yeah but he doesn't actually pay for that any more, Renault do, and Bernie and Lakshmi Mittal also hold shares too, a total 69% of the clubs shares between the 3 of them. They do have the potential to invest a lot of money but I cant see them throwing money at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

After Utd's performance last night, there may be some bargains to be had just about now in the transfer market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Say it will be Sell first, then buy for most teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We have to. Hughes' job depends on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Man City will make the transfer interesting for the neutrals. Valencia are up sh!t creek, there'll be a couple of them in the premiership next season

Advertisement