Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you Easterners pick up BBC Radio on your radios?

• 27-05-2009 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering this question as I've noted a lot of people on boards saying that they listen to BBC Radio.

Or are ye all listening to it on the net? It's just that here in Galway, I don't know a single person who listens to BBC as we can't pick them up.

Also, which of the BBC radio stations would deal with current affairs, philosophy, world affairs? Is it 4 or 5?

Thanks,

K.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Or are ye all listening to it on the net? It's just that here in Galway, I don't know a single person who listens to BBC as we can't pick them up.

Radio 5Live is pretty clear across the country at night on 909 and 693 MW, and Radio 4 on LW 192.
    Otherwise unless your close to the Northern Ireland border , the internet is the only other way to pick the BBC stations up or otherwise manually tuning your sky digibox or through NTL.

However even south of Drogheda, on the M1, BBC Radio1 is pretty clear in the car on FM.
    Also, which of the BBC radio stations would deal with current affairs, philosophy, world affairs? Is it 4 or 5?

Mainly Radio4 but also Radio 5 live to an extent. Its something of a less high brow sister station of Radio4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,521 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can get radio 4 on LW 198, that's with the wire hanging over a wardrobe and a bit stretched out. It's a shame the schedule is sometimes a little different to the FM one, e.g. in recent days they had cricket on for 6-7 hour blocks. Not had much luck with tuning in radio 5. Other than that I get some podcasts or use our Sky box.

I listen,in the car,to 5Live on 693 and R4 on 774.BBC R2 and 4 are good on 89.4 and 95.6 here in Sligo.5Live and Talksport are better at night on MW but i mostly listen through satellite (quad lnb) linked to a hi-fi system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Here in wicklow town we have a pretty clear line to the UK
    In my car radio I can get BBC radio 1, 2 & 3 on FM
    BBC 5 comes in fine on AM/MW
    I still listen on the web a bit as I dont have a house radio, plus for clarity

On a standard TV ariel we get BBC wales, S4C instead of channel 4, & HTV wales instead of UTV :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Radio 1 on FM in the car, R4/R5 on AM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

I have a little old ROBERTS radio that I can pick up bbc all over the world on. Only thing is you have to be awake at all hours and keep twiddling the knobs. I also get a lot of Islam too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

In my car radio I can get BBC radio 1, 2 & 3 on FM

Out of interest, what frequency is Radio1 coming in on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

From the northside of Dublin and across Meath, I can get in my car... (coverage varies with terrain, but very listenable)

BBC Radio 1 on 99.7 (Divis)
    BBC Radio 2 on 90.1 (Divis)
    BBC Radio Ulster on 94.5 (Divis) or 93.8 (Camlough)

and Radio 5 Live on 909 and 693 MW, Radio 4 on 720 MW and 198 LW, and Radio Ulster on 1341 MW.

I used to get Classic FM on 101.9 quite clearly until Today FM moved from 100.3 to 101.8 in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Out of interest, what frequency is Radio1 coming in on?
    For Wicklow, I'd say it would be Blaenplwyf transmitter, and 98.3 for Radio 1.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/radio/index.shtml

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can pick up BBC R4 on 104.6 and 90-something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement