Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel Allen on RTE

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm watching Rachell Allen's programme now and wonder if anyone else finds her pronunciation of vowels exceedingly annoying?

Leiw =low; Arind = around; Dine = down; Ire = hour; Seiw = so; Eiwpen = open .... too many to mention.

Then there is her murdering of the consonent "T" which she seems to pronounce as a soft "S" with a barely perceptable whistle added in. I think it's normal for a person's tongue to touch the roof of their mouth when pronouncing the letter "T"? Not in her case.

The food looks good. She looks good. The weird pronunciation drives me f*****g daft.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭EastWallGirl

My OH likes to imitate her. Her talk is wacky!

Waht is the accent we cant figure it out. Is it AMerican with a Cork thing going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

oh my god " knead the doo " I think she means dough wtf and her accent is a mix of cork and Dublin I only watch it cos she has goo recipies must say I prefer nigella :) rachel Allen needs elocution lesssons hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

does anyone know where in Ireland she comes from here accent is soo false it is unbelieveble. I have asked lots of people where she comes from and no one seems to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

Siew I'm not the iewnly one to niewtice this then.

Glad to know it wasn't just my imagination!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't actually watch her for that reason - especially when she talks about putting her 'bans in the ahven' :rolleyes:. And says 'Ooh they're yahm' when she tastes them.

Her mother is Icelandic but I don't think that explains the accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

I'm pretty sure she is from cork I got her cook books so I don't have to listen to her hehehe

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

As far as I know she's from Dublin, she went to that school that's in the papers at the moment for suspending the girl who's parents couldn't pay the fees. So perhaps her posh D4 accent got all Corkified and now we have to endure all her mispronunciations!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

She's from dublin, I'm guessing south county and fairly upper class, she's full of cack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Recipes were nice on last nights program. Don't usually watch her but mad a note on my phone to print off the recipes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Agreed, I'm looking forward to making that cardamom & orange panna cotta :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

its very annoying. but still, i would like to put my bun in her oven ha ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Seaneh wrote: »
    She's from dublin, I'm guessing south county and fairly upper class, she's full of cack too.

The fun type or the narcotic type?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Her voice makes seemingly nice food detestable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Well I think her recipes are spot-on, she's great on Market Kitchen and she comes across as a very nice person. Her bake show has really really good baking tips and tricks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

My brother and I regularly take the piss out of her ridiculous pronounciations. Instead of "cutting the butter" she says "catting the batter".

Brilliant for when you're alone in the kitchen and pretending to have your own cookery show. "Now, for the next step I'll be catting the batter and mixing it with flour to make a doooo."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

peepeep wrote: »
    My brother and I regularly take the piss out of her ridiculous pronounciations. Instead of "cutting the butter" she says "catting the batter".

Brilliant for when you're alone in the kitchen and pretending to have your own cookery show. "Now, for the next step I'll be catting the batter and mixing it with flour to make a doooo."

And for 'batter' she says 'butter' so it gets terribly confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

And dont forget the word "spuuun" for spoon.

Rachel Allen vr Nigella Lawson......who would yo do first!!

(partyguinness drools onto the keyboard....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I don't even think she's that good, so many of her recipes don't involve any cooking at all I think she's a bit of a chancer. But I didn't watch much of the Bake programme so I'll trust olaola's word on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

My 8 year old son does a brilliant impression of her and will often provide a commentary when I'm cooking in his RA voice. She happened to be in Supervalu in Midleton one day as I was doing some shopping and my son mortified me by shouting "Look Mam, there's the 'batter in the ahven' woman", she turned around and looked none too pleased.

She's deffo not from Cork - I think she's from Malahide. She came to Ballymaloe to do a cookery course and ended up marrying Darina Allen's son. I like the food she cooks but it's nothing special and alot of it is reworkings of Darina Allen staples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

She's deffo not from Cork - I think she's from Malahide. She came to Ballymaloe to do a cookery course and ended up marrying Darina Allen's son. I like the food she cooks but it's nothing special and alot of it is reworkings of Darina Allen staples.

A lot of which are reworkings of Myrtle's.

Lazy [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL].

I've no time for anything Allen-related since the Tim Allen kiddy p0rn whitewash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'l tell you what work in a kitchen for a drunk head chef who has his head in the bin.......
    what does bother me is her tops arn't low cut enough :D

Honey-ec wrote: »

Lazy [EMAIL="b@stards"]b@stards[/EMAIL].

I've no time for anything Allen-related since the Tim Allen kiddy p0rn whitewash.

I totally agree with you. My inlaws were booking Ballymaloe for a 40th wedding anniversary party - meal & accommodation for 30 people and I almost ended up divorced by boycotting it. Eventually good sense prevailed and we went to Hayfield Manor instead. It would have killed me to have the guts of €7,000 go their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lazy b@stards.

I totally agree with you. My inlaws were booking Ballymaloe for a 40th wedding anniversary party - meal & accommodation for 30 people and I almost ended up divorced by boycotting it. Eventually good sense prevailed and we went to Hayfield Manor instead. It would have killed me to have the guts of €7,000 go their way.

I'm no particular fan of the Ballymaloe empire, however credit must be given to Myrtle, especially, and Drina for helping to create an awareness of food and food production in Ireland and for supporting small artisan producers.

I have no opinion one way or the other on Rachel Allen.

But what I'd like to ask Honey and Munster is;
    If a member of your family was prosecuted for a crime, how would you like it if your whole family was ostracised and boycotted by society as a result, and not just the guilty party?
    Should you be found to be guilty by association?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

But what I'd like to ask Honey and Munster is;
    If a member of your family was prosecuted for a crime, how would you like it if your whole family was ostracised and boycotted by society as a result, and not just the guilty party?
    Should you be found to be guilty by association?

If it was a crime as henious as downloading child p0rn, I'd want nothing further to do with that person myself to begin with. The fact of the matter is that Tim Allen was in a position to effectively buy his way out of a jail term by making a €40,000 donation to Childline. So, I stand by my decision never to send another penny to the Allen family business (because it is a family business) and make no apologies for that whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gingerbreaddan

I always found her tv show a bit off putting, I think she comes across as a bit cold. I changed my mind about her once I got her Bake book, really good recipes with easy to follow guidelines and everything I've tried from it has worked out great.

If it was a crime as henious as downloading child p0rn, I'd want nothing further to do with that person myself to begin with. The fact of the matter is that Tim Allen was in a position to effectively buy his way out of a jail term by making a €40,000 donation to Childline. So, I stand by my decision never to send another penny to the Allen family business (because it is a family business) and make no apologies for that whatsoever.

My sentiments entirely. It's not just any crime - it's one of the most abominable crimes imaginable and as Honey-ec has said the Allens/Ballymaloe brand themselves as a family which is why I have never bought any related product since.

In answer to the beer revolu, if a family member of mine did the same thing I'd completely understand it if my whole family was ostracised and boycotted by society as a result - I may not like it but I could understand it. Then again I wouldn't stand by them, I wouldn't hold their hand in court and I wouldn't be able to 'love the sinner but not the sin'.

I completely stand over what I did in cancelling the booking at Ballymaloe which resulted in my sisters-in-law not speaking to me for months and my husband moving out for 2 weeks. I'm a mother of 4 and for me any crimes against a child are unforgiveable and I want nothing to do with those people perpetrating them or supporting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Erm.

This is not a Cooking and Recipes Topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement