Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Demian - Herman Hesse

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Anyone read this book?

If so, what did you make of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I haven't read this one yet. Am reading Siddhartha also by Hesse. It's amazing. Taking me ages because each sentence carries another meaning and every character teaches something.
    Hope to read Demian after this to get a comparaison.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

ally2 wrote: »
    I haven't read this one yet. Am reading Siddhartha also by Hesse. It's amazing. Taking me ages because each sentence carries another meaning and every character teaches something.
    Hope to read Demian after this to get a comparaison.

Yea this book was the most thought provoking book I have ever read. It was passed to me by someone who had it passed to him.... and I will pass it on....

That's exactly the kind of book it is - a passing on book. I gave my old copy away to a friend and told her she had to read it. I never got it back. Bought a new version with a great intro though so learned loads of background info and stuff about Hesse's early life and outlook. The tale is so short that the intro takes up half of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Yve wrote: »
    Yea this book was the most thought provoking book I have ever read. It was passed to me by someone who had it passed to him.... and I will pass it on....

That was how I got my copy too ! Read that years ago (about 14yrs old) - to be honest cant remember much of it now but I remember the impact. At the time I thought it it was the best book I had ever read. I would be interested to re-read it and see what I think of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

Morlar wrote: »
    That was how I got my copy too ! Read that years ago (about 14yrs old) - to be honest cant remember much of it now but I remember the impact. At the time I thought it it was the best book I had ever read. I would be interested to re-read it and see what I think of it now.

Yea a Brazilian guy who had been travelling gave it to me. I have only read it once and the impact - yea just something i have never experienced with any other book. I cant bring mysef to read it again. and have been tempted on several occasions to research it online but when it comes to it I cant. I have formed my own theory of it and am sure everyone intereprats it in their own way...........

• Advertisement

I read it when about 20 first and now just finished it again. This time I read background material as well. It's just as good as I remember except that I am reading it with a more cynical eye and am better able to put his experiences into concrete examples for myself. I look forward to reading it again when I am old and wise!

Advertisement