Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Spot on' wormer for cats....

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

I saw this and wondered it it's any good.
    The one I use at the moment is a dual wormer, but it's in tablet form and I end up getting savaged by one of my cats.
    I've tried the granuales in their food too, but they just don't eat it, so I was wondering if the spot on wormer is as good as the tablet one.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Is spot on the bob martin one? I used this one and clever kitty spotted it a mile off so didnt touch it (i mixed it in with her dry food) so i mashed it into her paté and job done :)

Just to add, i found the easiest way to get her to take tabs is to have the tab between my finger and thumb in my right hand, usin my right arm to hold her 4 paws down and usin my left hand to hold the back of her neck i can get the tab in, usin my left hand to hold her mouth shut then use the right hand to rub her throat until she swallows

I probably didnt explain that very well but give it a shot ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The spot on one is Bob Martin, it said you put it on the back of their necks....sounds easy.

I gave the tablets the way you said, one of my cats is fine, the other one is a huge tom who goes mad and savages me.....I can't keep him still.....so hoping the spot on one will do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

GAAman wrote: »
    Is spot on the bob martin one? I used this one and clever kitty spotted it a mile off so didnt touch it (i mixed it in with her dry food) so i mashed it into her paté and job done :)

Spot On is for application to the skin (back of the neck), it's not meant to be ingested.

OP, we use a similar application for our cat. One person holds her gently and the other applies. If there's no-one holding her she decides its a game and runs off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Spot On is for application to the skin (back of the neck), it's not meant to be ingested.

Ah apologies i was talking about the bob martin tablets i tried crushing them into powder but ended up doing the pill taking approach

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

OP, we use a similar application for our cat. One person holds her gently and the other applies. If there's no-one holding her she decides its a game and runs off.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

We tried this on our cats for ticks; made not an iota of difference sadly.

The cats are docile so it was a one person job.

So disappointed though.

Powdering the worm tablets into tinned tuna works for us. Small amount of tuna on a saucer....

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Subotai

I crush the tablet up and then mix it with tinned tuna too. Its impossible to give the cat the tablet any other way cause i'll just get scraped or bitten!
    Just on this topic, which brand do people find works best?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I really wouldn't use supermarket brand products for worming. Please go to your local vet or vet chemist where you will be able to buy them over the counter.

We buy these in ASDA; the same as you get in vet places and much cheaper.

Bob Martins is the same everywhere. Perfectly safe.

The ingredients are licensed, simply.

We also buy own brand OTC meds there for ourselves; eg paracetamol. 17 p for 24 tabs in LIDL and a little more in Asda.

VICK is literally half the price it is here.

The regulations are different over the Border.
    Toulouse wrote: »
    I really wouldn't use supermarket brand products for worming. Please go to your local vet or vet chemist where you will be able to buy them over the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 DeeColl

I always use the drops for my 2 cats & 2 dogs - its so handy, at least you know they are getting it, with tabs you have to check if they ate it etc. I give it to them while they are eating so they dont notice me giving it to them! Otherwise the dogs think its a treat and try and grab it off me!

• Advertisement

Give any or our cats/dogs a small saucer of tinned tuna, laced with anything, and they inhale it so fast and lick the saucer clean. We give it one by one so we are sure.

Each to his own method; as long as it gets done.
    DeeColl wrote: »
    I always use the drops for my 2 cats & 2 dogs - its so handy, at least you know they are getting it, with tabs you have to check if they ate it etc. I give it to them while they are eating so they dont notice me giving it to them! Otherwise the dogs think its a treat and try and grab it off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

wanna swap cats?

my cats will eat the tuna, lick the oil, and leave the tablet. feckers.

The only thing that works for me is the spot-on. (recently had lung worms, where we had to give the cat 3 different tablets a day. There's a thread on the experiences here somewhere - and I still get dirty looks from my cat if I spend any more time with the bowl than it takes to put the food in the bowl - he thinks I could still be drugging him...)

;-)

lol!

Crush the tablet to a fine powder between eg two teaspoons... mix well with the tuna....the flaked kind.

And no way would I swap cats!!!!

oh I use the tuna flakes in brine also. Maybe that helps:)

Fo the laughter, thank you!

I would though not fancy my chances medicating these two the hard way.... They have long fur and very thick and finding how to get the spot on on was hard enough.

That was for ticks and fleas..
    galah wrote: »
    wanna swap cats?

my cats will eat the tuna, lick the oil, and leave the tablet. feckers.

The only thing that works for me is the spot-on. (recently had lung worms, where we had to give the cat 3 different tablets a day. There's a thread on the experiences here somewhere - and I still get dirty looks from my cat if I spend any more time with the bowl than it takes to put the food in the bowl - he thinks I could still be drugging him...)

;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Should you start giving cats these tablets immediately? I got a kittemnjnnnnnnnnnjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjt5555555r5t4 (a kitten, the cat wrote that) and just wondering if you should start giving them worming tablets at a young age?
    Thats all ill say for now before the cat feels the need to make a further contribution :D

Advertisement