Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying cockatiel?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi,

I came home from work to find my cockatiel (10 yrs old) at the corner of his cage. It's not unusual for him to be there as some times he likes to go around picking up food that has fallen from the food dish. But he seemed to be breathing very fast (panting). Then when I tried to move him I noticed he was very weak and couldn't grab hold of his pirch. So I took him out and noticed that when he tried to walk he kept stumbling over as if he has lost his balance. It's like he's disorientated. I had him sitting on me earlier and have fed him and he has taken a small bit of water. And he seemed a bit better but he's still finding it very hard to walk and panting after moving even just a little!! He was fine yesterday.

I will bring him to the vet tommorrow if he has not improved. I am just wondering if anyone has had this happen to their cockatiel before? Is it a sign that he is going to die soon? Thanks for any help !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

It's very hard to know. Birds can go downhill rapidly so it's best to bring him to the vet as soon as you can. Ten wouldn't be very old for a cockatiel so it's not old age, he's sick.
    Best of luck with the vets, I hope he recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

10 isn't young for a tiel but it isn't elderly it's kind of middle aged.

Was he his full self the day before or did he seem a little off, usually they hide illness well but sometimes there's a slight hint that something could be wrong.

It sounds like he's very ill could be anything but with birds you need to act swiftly really he should be taken to a 24 hour vet straight away.
    When birds become ill it should always be treated as an emergency.

In the mean time keep him warm if you have some critical care or avi pro give him some and since it's night keep him warm and comfortable on the floor of the cage perhaps in a box to restrict his movements so he doesn't climb up on to the perch and fall.

Was there anything sprayed in the room he is in, or any painting being done, or anyone use tefal/non stick anything like that lately even the smoke from an open fire can effect them.

Fingers crossed for him, if he's panting he could of perhaps have a respiratory infection like pneumonia, what colour is his tongue?

Could really be anything so a vet is your only answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ~flow~

I thought I should give an update and maybe help others incase they find their bird with similar symptoms.

The cockatiel had sunstroke! Thankfully, he came through and is back to his usual singing acrobatic self! \o/ :D

Thanks bionic.laura and Guineapigrescue for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Very common at this time of year people tend to leave their pets near a window, if your window brings in direct sunlight cages, hamster cages, fish tanks, bird cages etc. need to be moved away from there.

Sunlight is important for birds but sunstroke can kill. Great your bird recovered. So important though if ever unsure about a bird to get it to a vet straight away with no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Glad he's ok - I hate hearing about pets getting ill. I'm curious - how did the vet diagnose the condition?

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Oh so glad to hear he's ok. The poor fella he probably wasn't used to so much sun.

Advertisement