Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burglar alarm system

• 27-05-2009 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Have just finished a massive extension to an old cottage.
    Realised too late that we did not wire for an alarm system.

anyone know if it's possible, practical to alarm wirelessly afterwards.
    The owner wants all doors and windows alarmed, motion detectors and an audible alarm on wall outside.

I think I can wirelessly fit motion detectors but these will only alert house owners once someone is laready in the house. also, they don't set off an outside alarm.

All opinions, advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

http://www.intellihome.be/english/security

click on link, you will find all kinds of gems there, heard about this site from a friend who bought an IP camera which he can view from his mobile phone from the site,,,, you shud see it it's class.

I have no affiliation with site / company, just trying to help OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hiya bfh

i'd recommend you put a thread over on the electrical forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1018

i'm sure stoner & the lads will help you out

btw i've used intellihome as well but i'll send you another link for another
    company via PM and another UK based forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Advice much appreciated.
    Isn't this forum a great source of information.

Not sure if I'm allowed post the same question on two foums in Boardfs.ie.
    'Rules is rules' as Al Murray would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 -unlaoised-

hi de man,
    could you please send me the link you mentioned in PM, i would be interested in having a look at it
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

thanks

• Advertisement

Thanks for PM De_Man.
    Have not looked at links in detail yet.
    I understand that in Ireland only a registered security alarm installer can install alarms and it can even be difficult to source materials if you are not registered. Not using a registered installer can create problems with house insurance. I am not 100% sure about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi

you'd get more information over on the electrical forum
    but as far as i know yes you're supposed to use a registered installer otherwise your home insurance could be void.
    Now i installed my alarm myself using following UK grade 3 specs/installation & i asked a particular insurance company for a quote and they said it wasn't an issue once it worked

I got all my materials delivered from belgium & the UK

to assist your search your looking for a "wireless shock sensor"

De Man,
    Googled 'wireless shock sensor' and got 165,000 listings, so one of them should work.
    seems to me wireless is the way to go. You don't have ugly wires along window and door frames.
    I guess a dis-advantgae is you need to change batteries.

I'll have alook at the 'Electrical forum'. Didn't know there was one actually.

Advertisement