Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Drivers

Options
  • 27-05-2009 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I googled my way to some threads here that seem to indicate a number of people are knowledgeable on this subject, so I am seeking your advice.

My mother has a progressive neuromuscular condition (CMT). It is severe enough that in her early 20s she lost the ability to walk and had to have a triple arthrodesis to pin the ankle bones; thankfully this eventually returned to her the ability to walk, although she is also affected in a number of other ways.

In January this year, the ligaments of her right leg spontaneously tore and the bone suffered a stress fracture. She is still totally reliant on a crutch to get around.
    Because of her neuromuscular condition, she simply doesn't have the bodily strength to labour long (or medium) walking distances - and this is preventing her from returning to her desk job.

So we thought, a disabled badge that she would use to get to/from work might help until she (hopefully) recovers.

BUT the forms (from DDAI) seem wholly uncompromising - you must have total or near-complete loss of the use one leg AND near-complete loss of the other; or you must have total or near loss of the use of one or both hands AND one leg; or you must have visual disability; or you must have a cardiac condition that severey restricts mobility...

It seems so strictly delineated that we fear they'll tell us she doesn't qualify... which, while I respect the need not to give out badges willy-nilly, seems crazy to me, when she has no choice but to remain out of work without it.

ANY ADVICE/EXPERIENCE WARMLY WELCOMED!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I'd suggest you get in contact with the Irish Wheelchair association who also administer the Parking permit. I've always found them very helpful in dealing with queries on the topic.

Irish Wheelchair Association
    Driving Section
    Clane
    Co. Kildare
    Tel: (045) 893 094

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arunmochleibh

Okay, and thank you!
    Hopefully it won't be as intimidatingly regimental as the forms seem to be! :)

Advertisement