Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Final to be on a Saturday next year

• 27-05-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Just heard this at the end of the match tonight. Michel Platini was in favour of the change so as to make football more family friendly.

What does everyone think about it? I for one don't like the idea. I much prefer the idea of getting to watch a match in the middle of the week at night time. It's also tradition, all the past great finals have been on Wednesday nights.

Thoughts?

When should the Champions League final be played? 30 votes

Wednesday
    0% 0 votes
    Saturday
    100% 30 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm old school, so definitely Wednesday nights for me. I also want the competition restricted to league winners and for it to go back to it's original knockout format. I don't think Michel Platini would like me very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

By family friendly he means worker friendly so they can go for scoops and not have work the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I like the traditional mid-week slot. I think that by 'family friendly' he really means 'larger audience and more money'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Saturday for me. 5 of my mates are in the pub atm and I'm jealous. I can't do this 6 pint lark without getting set for a trip to a niteclub, falling into my bed at half 3 and not being fit for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    By family friendly he means worker friendly so they can go for scoops and not have work the next day.

For this reason alone, I support the idea. Move the FA cup to Wednesday.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Saturday FTW. Be like the FA cup with coverage at team hotels starting at 9am hopefully..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saturday sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Up until the last couple of years I would've said keep it on a Wednesday, but seeing as I've struggled to get the time off work for the last couple of years (and going out to watch it is a definite no-no) I think moving it to a Saturday ain't such a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd say most of those who travel prefer the Saturday aswell.

I don't care really, i'll watch it any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If it means I won't miss the final because I have to study for a stupid exam the next morning then I'm all for it.

Did not stop me from watching the final tonight though. Fúck you exam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'll say one thing. Whatever day they decide to play the final it won't get me back watching the midweek bore-fest that is the group stages. I gave up on them this week and I don't think I'll be watching them this year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

well you know some people's jobs do not end at 5 or 6 o clock during the week - so that same person might be able to watch games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

mayordenis wrote: »
    well you know some people's jobs do not end at 5 or 6 o clock during the week - so that same person might be able to watch games
    And some people work weekends too, you will never please everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

that's the spirit :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Irrelevant isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not sure why anyone would prefer Wednesday tbh :confused:

Saturday for me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Midweek for me, it will be much harder to get tickets for a Saturday final imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

If it means I won't miss the final because I have to study for a stupid exam the next morning then I'm all for it.

Ha I'm in the same boat as you, and I too watched the final. Though being a United fan I'm beginning to think study was the better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I have to say, i thought i'd be a traditionalist on this. But i love the thought of this being on a Saturday. It's more of an event. Trust me, the Champions League Final will become an even bigger event because of this.
    Platini's still a pratt though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mcowhey

ballox idea. Wednesday night it has to be. Will it be a saturday night cos i genuinely think i'll explode if the champs league final wasn't played under flood lights. Just makes the atmosphere and everything a tad better imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think its a no brainer having it on a Saturday. I'd struggle to think of any major final in any other sport that isn't on either a Saturday or Sunday (or a bank holiday)

I'd say if we re-did this poll in 3 years that the result would be 95% for Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Does anyone really care. Once the right team win like tonight!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I like it on Wednesday. You go out for a few and are in bad shape the next day but cheer up when you get paid and then before you know its Friday and the weekend. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Eh, Wednesday is tradition, I can't imagine a CL final not under the floodlights. Saturday would completely ruin the spirit of the competition imo. They're not going to play the rest of the games on the weekend are they? Hell no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Who said it wouldn't be played under floodlights? Of course it's going to be played in the evening.
    Getting rid of the podium for the trophy presentation on the hand I think was a terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Without a doubt Saturday, it makes a lot more sense to me anyway, there are no real practical reasons to have it on a Wednesday.
    Saturday would make a much bigger event of it and give it a more global appeal.
    I don't get this whole "it's tradition" traditions change with the times, that has been proven by the whole Champions League setup and its changes through the years.
    Christmas is a tradition not the Champions League final, if that is the only reason people can come up with then it is not much of an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It will have a smaller tv audience on a Saturday imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Don't fix it if it is'nt broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

As long as it's played in the evening under lights!

It would lose it's appeal to me if played during a Saturday afternoon.

Still I can't imagine Monsieur Platini will be checking this thread anytime soon!

Advertisement