Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual booting vista and ubuntu

Options
  • 27-05-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Not sure if this belongs here...I have ubuntu and vista on my laptop (had vista first) and when i turn on my laptop it comes up with the screen asking me to choose to start ubuntu or vista,if i dont pick one after 10seconds it automatically starts ubuntu,is there anyway to change this so that after 10 seconds it automatically starts vista?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

In Ubuntu edit the menu.lst file. equivalent to the Boot.ini file in Windows.

Change the value on the default line to the index number of the operating system you want to boot, 0 is the first system displayed in the list 1 the second etc.

If you want to you can change the value on the timeout line to the number of seconds you want to elapse before the default system is booted.

You need to have administrative privileges to edit menu.lst

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

thomasjad wrote: »
    Not sure if this belongs here...I have ubuntu and vista on my laptop (had vista first) and when i turn on my laptop it comes up with the screen asking me to choose to start ubuntu or vista,if i dont pick one after 10seconds it automatically starts ubuntu,is there anyway to change this so that after 10 seconds it automatically starts vista?

Boot into ubuntu alter the /boot/grub/menu.lst file as per instructions below:

http://www.computing.net/answers/linux/vistaubuntu-dual-boot-default-os/29909.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

FSL wrote: »
    In Ubuntu edit the menu.lst file. equivalent to the Boot.ini file in Windows.

Change the value on the default line to the index number of the operating system you want to boot, 0 is the first system displayed in the list 1 the second etc.

If you want to you can change the value on the timeout line to the number of seconds you want to elapse before the default system is booted.

You need to have administrative privileges to edit menu.lst

I'm always the bridesmaid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

thats brilliant it worked :) thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭stephenlane80

I think its too late after you have overwritten your windows master boot record, but if you were doing it again, you could install the grub boot loader in the first sector of you ubuntu partition,

Then when you reboot you will not see any trace of ubuntu,

To boot ubuntu you can then add a ubuntu boot image to boot.ini using grub4dos,

This setup has the advantage of retaining the windows boot loader, so you can remove you linux distribution without a trace if required. (usefull in a corporate network)

• Advertisement
Advertisement