Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was the IrishMagicNews.com thread moved?

Options
  • 27-05-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Everyone,

Brendan here, not previously being a member and knowing there were a group interested in magic here I asked my friend James to let you all know about the exciting new site <snip>

James started a thread on here and received the following reply from mod Zuroph
    "Hey James,
    I've edited your post about this down a bit, it was too much like an advertisement, and if other mods had come across it first you may have lost all access to Boards. I've left the link and a toned down description of the site.
    I'd like to address a few points Zuroph makes

"it was too much like an advertisment"
    Well if letting people with an iterest in magic know about a new not-for-profit Irish magic site is advertising then I am guilty, but certainly no more guilty then others here who have promoted events and or shows etc.

Brendan
    <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok you are new to the site so I will cut you a bit of slack for a moment.

A few things though:

• When you signed up to this site you would have agreed to a set of rules - these are very clear about advertising. Breaching this rule usually results in a ban from the site.

• When you come into this forum there is also the Charter highlighted at the top of the forum. The title of the Charter thread is very clear "Charter: Please read before posting - UPDATED 06/11/08"

Signing up purely to advertising is very different to a regular user who has contributed to the forum letting us know about a show.

Also thread like this belong in the HelpDesk Forum - I shale more it thread now.

Please read the rules before you continue posting.

Also Pm stands for Private Message - the posting of these without the permission of both parties is frowned upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

"it was too much like an advertisment"
    Well if letting people with an iterest in magic know about a new not-for-profit Irish magic site is advertising then I am guilty, but certainly no more guilty then others here who have promoted events and or shows etc.
    Oh come on, you know the score, you have the public posting text to your website and posting spam to it also I'm sure.

Our signup rules are something that you have received also. If you are here to post about wonderful products and services then this isn't for you. This is a community, not your advertising board.

If you wish to pay to advertise your site in banners or get a commercial user account you can email hello@boards.ie

If you wish to be one in the community feel free to post helpful or requestful posts in any forum, providing you keep by the rules. You may have a signature that you can link your site to when you reach 25 posts.

Don't just come on here and pimp your website.

/I've edited your original post to remove private message text but left the moderator note, reasoning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishMagicNews

Oh great,

Now my posts are being edited too. It was not a pm so therefore you haven't right to edit. It was an e-mail.

Gordon said "If you wish to be one in the community feel free to post helpful or requestful posts in any forum, providing you keep by the rules."

And letting magicians know about a not-for-profit news and reference service site for magic in Ireland is not helpful?

I would love to know what the non-moderator members of this forum think?

Brendan
    IrishMagicNews.com

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You don't understand how this site works, go back to the start and start again. Start by reading the rules that you clicked 'I agree' to, and then read the signup email you received.

• Advertisement

I don't know your actual name so have to address you as 6th.

6th is perfectly fine.

First of all I didn't sign up to advertise. In fact I didn't sign up at all originally.

You signed up and every post you made contained a link to your news site which you wish to promote. I work in advertising ... I know what it is.
    I asked a friend to let everyone here know about the site.

So you asked someone else to come on an promote your site. Again you want and alot and seem unprepared to give anything to "this" community. The Magic Forum is just one forum on Boards.ie - we are a community within a community.

You say breaching the rules on advertising results in a ban from this site. I see plenty who have advertised stuff here that is of interest to magicians and they are still around to tell to tale.

See below quote from me
    6th wrote: »
    Signing up purely to advertising is very different to a regular user who has contributed to the forum letting us know about a show.

I read the charter and i am supposing the particular part you are refering to is the part that says posts may be moved by the mods. That is fine. But I still havent gotten an answer as to why it was moved. The reason I would like it to stay as its own independant post is because it obviously more obvious there.

Ok it was merge with a thread for links to websites etc. But your not happy with that because you want to be treated differently to all the people who's sites are in the links thread.
    Surely a site that is of interest to magicians is worth letting them know about. It seems to be you want to try and hide it. For what reason I do not know.

It could be the greatest magic site ever but if you come on here to promote it without engaging in this community or without paying for advertising then we dont want to know.
    The site is a service site for magicians. Hopefully one which will lead them in the right direction in furthering their appreciation, interest and maybe even career. By this I mean in contacting societies and having access to the knowledge and information this in turn brings.

So basically the same as our forum then?
    Are you a member of a magic society in Ireland, is Zuroph?

Do I need to be? I might be but to be honest the idea that magic is only for those in societies is elitest to me, Magic is for everyone.
    What are your names?

Who are you to be asking me questions? Are you new to the internet?
    I ask this as Zuroph suggested to me that the word official in my website might piss societies off. Is he a member of any society?

If an Admn could give Zuroph access to HelpDesk he can address this?
    With respect alot of the advice given here is by people who remain anonomous and purtain to be professional magicians when that is probably far from the truth. Don't you think that magicians should at least be made aware of a world of magic outside boards.ie

You've just made it very clear that you havent taken any time to read through our forum. If you want to make judgements based on little or nothing then I have no interest in what you have to say.
    In Zurohph's mail to james about me he finished by saying.

"Introduce him to boards. It'd be nice to get his input on here."

My input here has moved twice now. From here on in I'll be taking my input somewhere else.

Brendan

It might have been nice to get your input but tbh if it comes with the attitude you can keep it, we've plenty of friendly, helpful, experienced people on here who are willing to contribute to the community.

I have read all that and I am supposing your referring to part where it says please do not join to promote your site or service.

I didn't join to do that. I asked a member who has been on here a decent amount of time to let everyone know about it.

I, through the site, want to promote and help magic in Ireland. Something these boards quite evidently do not.

With the exception of you Gordon I do not even know who I am talking to (6th and Zuroph) so until the cloak of invisibility is removed you will hear no more for me.

With respect, I am just trying to help people out but if my help is not apprectaited here I shall take it somewhere else.

Brendan
    IrishMagicNews.

Now not only are posts of mine being edited but one has actually been deleted.

I have read all that and I am supposing your referring to part where it says please do not join to promote your site or service.

I didn't join to do that. I asked a member who has been on here a decent amount of time to let everyone know about it.

Seriously, you think thats a defense?
    I, through the site, want to promote and help magic in Ireland. Something these boards quite evidently do not.

And you know so much about this forum and its almost 2000 posts?
    With the exception of you Gordon I do not even know who I am talking to (6th and Zuroph) so until the cloak of invisibility is removed you will hear no more for me.

Would it make you feel better if I told you 6th was my stage name? :rolleyes: Seriously people use different names all the time.
    With respect, I am just trying to help people out but if my help is not apprectaited here I shall take it somewhere else.

With respect you are trying to promote your website treating us like we're stupid isnt appreciated.

User is now banned from the Magic & Illusion forum. Thread deleted but Admins can view this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055576963

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    And you know so much about this forum and its almost 2000 posts?

With respect, I don't need to know anything else. Your reaction speaks volumes.

Brendan

The Magic & Illusion forum - You'll like it, not a lot, but you'll like it!

Advertisement